Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Moody
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 41511
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:12 pm

It's snowing! I am excited. Finally some snow. BOTH children have gone on sleepovers, because of course they will be snowed in for the night. It only looks like a couple inches right now.

Who's next...........?
Back to top Go down
KMKB
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2396
Registration date : 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:23 pm

Atlanta had a white Christmas for the first time in 100 years! We have had flurries all day! I love living where we get enough snow to have some fun but goes away in a day or two!
Back to top Go down
Jessalyn
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8563
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:32 pm

It is a State of Emergency up here in Massachusetts and the blizzard warning is in effect until Monday night at 6pm.

My town is in the 20+ inches section of Southeastern Mass. so this should be fun!

The wind is insane already and it is supposed to get up to 50 MPH so hopefully we don't lose power.

I took this pic earlier this afternoon before it got bad. It is Lucy's First Blizzard!!!

Back to top Go down
Mappy

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:33 pm

Moody wrote:
It's snowing! I am excited. Finally some snow. BOTH children have gone on sleepovers, because of course they will be snowed in for the night. It only looks like a couple inches right now.

Who's next...........?

Back to top Go down
BlueBonnet
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3013
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:48 pm

Mappy wrote:

Yummmmm. I like how some peas are hiding in the SHELLS.

It got down to 28 last night and is supposed to again tonight. The high today is 52 and sunny.
Back to top Go down
Moody

Number of posts : 41511
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:49 pm

Mappy wrote:
Moody wrote:

Who's next...........?

lol! Gross Mappy! Shell pasta with pees. You shouldn't be getting that much snow. Right?
Back to top Go down
Sarahnator
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2459
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 4:51 pm

It rained a lot last night but today it is sunny and nice. I even have the windows opened in my house.

I would like one day of snow though, just to see what it's like lol

Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 5:13 pm

It's cold but beautifully sunny today here in Okieland. Or Knuckledrag USA as some call it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Mappy

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 5:20 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
It's cold but beautifully sunny today here in Okieland. Or Knuckledrag USA as some call it.

Would you like a blood sister or something? I'm all for happy sunny cold days lol!
Back to top Go down
Mappy

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 5:21 pm

Moody wrote:
Mappy wrote:
Moody wrote:

Who's next...........?

lol! Gross Mappy! Shell pasta with pees. You shouldn't be getting that much snow. Right?

Not as much as you probably but the possibility of it cutting into my mini vaca is ticking me off... so you're going to be getting shells, pasta and otherwise, until I learn if the trip is cancelled lol!
Back to top Go down
Mappy

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 6:01 pm

Moody wrote:

Who's next...........?

Oh... both kids gone... possibly snowed in at their friends houses... any special plans Moody? I can see why you're so excited demon banana
Back to top Go down
jodriver58

Number of posts : 13468
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 6:25 pm

Mappy wrote:
Moody wrote:

Who's next...........?

Oh... both kids gone... possibly snowed in at their friends houses... any special plans Moody? I can see why you're so excited demon banana

I was thinking the same thing. moody... demon banana boob shake demon banana
Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 8:56 pm

Blech. I'm tired of Montana winters. All you people who want snow please come and take some of mine! Too bad I married someone who loves the snow. I used to love it when I could snowboard. But since I can't board this year, I'm pissed about snow and want it to die a miserable death! That being said, Christmas was lovely here whistle

A quote my husband wrote in a card to me during my battle with cancer (that made me bawl my eyes out)- "When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Spartan Warrior. I never would have guessed my wife would become one before me."
Back to top Go down
HAPPY4LIFE

Number of posts : 43153
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 9:59 pm

One of my favorite places to visit is Blue Sky, Montana.

~ Happy thoughts fill your life with happiness ~
Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 10:05 pm

HAPPY4LIFE wrote:

I'm trying to remember where that is. Is it near a town called hungryhorse? (yes i know we have weird town names. IE- Wibeaux, Sweet Grass, etc)

A quote my husband wrote in a card to me during my battle with cancer (that made me bawl my eyes out)- "When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Spartan Warrior. I never would have guessed my wife would become one before me."
Back to top Go down
HAPPY4LIFE

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 10:17 pm

marinewife08 wrote:
HAPPY4LIFE wrote:

I'm trying to remember where that is. Is it near a town called hungryhorse? (yes i know we have weird town names. IE- Wibeaux, Sweet Grass, etc)

Big Sky is located in the south western part of Montana. It is half way between Yellowstone and Bozemen. Let me look at google maps to see if it is close to hungry horse. It is gorgeous there.

Back to top Go down
HAPPY4LIFE

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 10:26 pm

If you drove from Hungry Horse to Big Sky it would take about 7 hours.

Back to top Go down
ebowers
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 26th 2010, 11:45 pm

Well, it was 65 degrees here in Phoenix today and that's the forcast for the next 2 days.
We drove up to the Grand Canyon last weekend and there was a blizzard up there. As a matter of fact, we
couldn't even see the canyon! The wind was whipping around! Our guest from TN was bummed!! We thought
it was very pretty, since we don't go up there in the winter too often.

ETA: I just don't miss those Ohio winters! I do miss the Fall though and the leaves changing, but not the cold, windy,
snowy winters.
Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 12:09 am

HAPPY4LIFE wrote:
marinewife08 wrote:
HAPPY4LIFE wrote:

Big Sky is located in the south western part of Montana. It is half way between Yellowstone and Bozemen. Let me look at google maps to see if it is close to hungry horse. It is gorgeous there.

Oh Big sky! Yes I know where you're talking about now. It's gorgeous. Actually this state is gorgeous! but freakin' freezing in the winter!!!

Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 1:52 am

We've had an inch or snow each night for the past couple of nights in southeast Ohio. My niece drove in from Charleston SC yesterday and they said it was snowing big time around the Charlotte area.

I also heard Pigeon Forge TN had a white christmas this year.
Back to top Go down
Fortian
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2192
Registration date : 2009-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 4:13 am

32c here today... 94f??

We're staying about 2 1/2 hours south of Sydney, right on the water. The fish are biting and the family is leaving me in peace!!

The only problem- very dodgy internet connection (far too slow to load pics). I've been doing lots of reading and snoozing.... It's a tough life!!!

Hope you're all surviving the cold snap there- stay safe everyone!!

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 8:45 am

8 inches of snow. Wind gusting over 50 mph. All will be calm eventually... so we can shovel/snow blow all the drifting snow lol

Heather, I am jealous! Have a lovely holiday and make a toast to the DUTS while you are relaxing, looking out at the water. cheers to you
Back to top Go down
Gail
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3275
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 8:49 am

Mappy wrote:
8 inches of snow. Wind gusting over 50 mph. All will be calm eventually... so we can shovel/snow blow all the drifting snow lol

Heather, I am jealous! Have a lovely holiday and make a toast to the DUTS while you are relaxing, looking out at the water. cheers to you

Mary Anne....the wind gusts are crazy, aren't they? It kept waking me up throughout the night.
Back to top Go down
Jessalyn
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8563
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 9:53 am

It is finally winding down. Probably have around 16-18 inches here. The wind has been howling all night leading to epic snow drifts.

At least it is pretty outside. lol!

Back to top Go down
speedy0103
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3685
Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 10:32 am

Jess, that's a beautiful picture! Seeing all that snow makes me want to cuddle up by a fire with hot cocoa and a movie.

I hope everyone affected by this whether stays safe and warm. Hug wrap up in arms
Back to top Go down
stones
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1045
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 27th 2010, 2:12 pm

I love snow because we rarely get any! I know that all of you getting snow are probably tired of it by now, but it looks so pretty!! Hang in there!
Back to top Go down
Sarahnator
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 12:45 am

This is a serious question and I apologize in advance if it sounds stupid lol but what happens when you get all this snow, are you able to get to work? Does everything shut down? I know next to nothing about snow.

Back to top Go down
gmtbb
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3733
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 5:40 am

lol i think it depends on how much snow the area is accustomed to getting. where i live the city plows the streets throughout the storm or snow fall and puts salt on the ground to prevent ice. people have to shovel their own driveways and yards to get their cars out. at least where I live in upstate/western NY, nothing closes down. it'd take several feet of snow or being right in the middle of the blizzard for that to happen - and then its usually only schools that close down. In fact, when I was going to high school I remember that most of our snow days weren't due to snow fall but more so because it was like -15 degrees outdoors or something and the district didn't want students that walked and waited for buses to get frostbite.
Back to top Go down
http://thecornertv.wordpress.com/
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 6:33 am

Sarahnator wrote:
This is a serious question and I apologize in advance if it sounds stupid lol but what happens when you get all this snow, are you able to get to work? Does everything shut down? I know next to nothing about snow.
As gmtbb said, I guess it depends. I live in Ottawa and nothing under 10 inches slows us down. (Wait, that sounded dirty.)
The schools never close but the school buses might be canceled as they don't want kids standing on the side of the streets when all the plows are out in full force. We have an annual snow removal budget of around $10,000,000 and a huge investment in snow removal equipment.
Even the almost record snowfall of 2007 - 2008 was handled. (170 inches) This picture is from March 8, 2008.

Back to top Go down
memphisbelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8638
Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 6:58 am

If Memphis gets an inch we can come to a complete halt. Our roads become perilous. Usually we will have some ice during the process of snow fall and that makes for cars driving on skating rinks and as we have no snow equipment, the city simply shuts down, no school, no work for most, etc. The only thing that the city can do is have dump trucks spread sand and some salt - but we don't have much of that. The schools build a few snow days into the calendar year but there have been years when they had to have Saturday school to meet the requirements.

If they predict snow there will be a run on groceries like you have never seen, if you go late you will not be able to buy milk and bread and it doesn't matter if people don't have milk in there house at any other time, they will buy milk if snow is coming. There is an excitement for snow and then there is the fear of being housebound for several days. (I don't buy mild, I buy diet coke, salsa and cheese dip and tostitos, chili fixin's and peanut m&m's - I know what the important food groups are, lol)

We had a horrendous ice storm in the 90's that shut the city down for days and days - some people did not have electricity for weeks, trees were bent at 90 degree angles. So from where I sit, snow is bad, but ice is terrible.
Back to top Go down
http://http:/ / imaginethismidsouth.auctionsound.com/
KMKB
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 9:33 am

memphisbelle wrote:
If Memphis gets an inch we can come to a complete halt. Our roads become perilous. Usually we will have some ice during the process of snow fall and that makes for cars driving on skating rinks and as we have no snow equipment, the city simply shuts down, no school, no work for most, etc. The only thing that the city can do is have dump trucks spread sand and some salt - but we don't have much of that. The schools build a few snow days into the calendar year but there have been years when they had to have Saturday school to meet the requirements.

If they predict snow there will be a run on groceries like you have never seen, if you go late you will not be able to buy milk and bread and it doesn't matter if people don't have milk in there house at any other time, they will buy milk if snow is coming. There is an excitement for snow and then there is the fear of being housebound for several days. (I don't buy mild, I buy diet coke, salsa and cheese dip and tostitos, chili fixin's and peanut m&m's - I know what the important food groups are, lol)

We had a horrendous ice storm in the 90's that shut the city down for days and days - some people did not have electricity for weeks, trees were bent at 90 degree angles. So from where I sit, snow is bad, but ice is terrible.

As a northerner living in Atlanta I am always amazed when people clear the shelves at the grocery store when alittle snow is predicted! One year here there was maybe an inch of snow but my husband and I still decided to go out to eat. There was no one at the restaurant and we had the best service!

I also lived through an ice storm when we lived in Kentucky! It was awful! We were with out electricity, phone, and our septic tank broke all for two weeks! That was the week we decided to move to Florida!
Back to top Go down
Sarahnator
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 6:38 pm

Thanks for answering my question ladies! You all are tough, I'd probably die Laughing

Back to top Go down
Frances

Number of posts : 12116

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 6:51 pm

ARRRG I hate living here in Florida! No snow and Friday and New Year's Day our highs will be around 77. Ugh, I want to move back to Dallas or Seattle. I'm just not cut out for heat during winter. Sorry for my little rant. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
KMKB
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 6:57 pm

Frances wrote:
ARRRG I hate living here in Florida! No snow and Friday and New Year's Day our highs will be around 77. Ugh, I want to move back to Dallas or Seattle. I'm just not cut out for heat during winter. Sorry for my little rant. Embarassed

I loved living in Florida! We went swimming on New Years Day most years we lived there. We were in the Naples area- are you in south Florida? (Of course my parents live in West Virginia so we usually got to see snow on Christmas!)
Back to top Go down
Frances

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 7:52 pm

KMKB wrote:
Frances wrote:

I loved living in Florida! We went swimming on New Years Day most years we lived there. We were in the Naples area- are you in south Florida? (Of course my parents live in West Virginia so we usually got to see snow on Christmas!)

Ive lived in so many places all my life, my dad was in the military but the longest place I ever lived was St. Petersburg, Florida. Then, after I married, my husband contracted and we moved to Dallas then to Seattle (so incredibly awesome) on to Manchester, New Hampshire then back to Dallas. Now we are back in Florida and there are just too many bad memories associated with this place. I lived in St. Pete for 18 years. Presently, I'm in Largo/Clearwater and I'm sorry to say I just hate it here. I am simply suited for colder climates and mountains. I like dark, cloudy and rainy days with a slight mist or fog. I'm not picky am I? lol!

I do get what you are saying. When I lived here in my late teens, twenties and early thirties, I loved going to the beach and swimming almost year round but something changed after living in Seattle. I grew to abhor the sun and high temperatures. I do love all the Springs in northern Florida and of course Disney! Naples is very close. Can I ask where you live now?
Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 7:56 pm

I lived in central Florida for a couple of years and although I didn't miss the snow, I did miss the seasons changing.

Back to top Go down
KMKB
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 8:00 pm

Frances wrote:
KMKB wrote:
Frances wrote:

Ive lived in so many places all my life, my dad was in the military but the longest place I ever lived was St. Petersburg, Florida. Then, after I married, my husband contracted and we moved to Dallas then to Seattle (so incredibly awesome) on to Manchester, New Hampshire then back to Dallas. Now we are back in Florida and there are just too many bad memories associated with this place. I lived in St. Pete for 18 years. Presently, I'm in Largo/Clearwater and I'm sorry to say I just hate it here. I am simply suited for colder climates and mountains. I like dark, cloudy and rainy days with a slight mist or fog. I'm not picky am I? lol!

I do get what you are saying. When I lived here in my late teens, twenties and early thirties, I loved going to the beach and swimming almost year round but something changed after living in Seattle. I grew to abhor the sun and high temperatures. I do love all the Springs in northern Florida and of course Disney! Naples is very close. Can I ask where you live now?

I live in Marietta GA- just northwest of Atlanta! We moved up here during the house boom because we could not afford a house in Naples. We loved it there and are still planning on moving back at some point. I like Atlanta since we get snow but it is gone in a day or two. It is still too cold for me during the winter.
Back to top Go down
Jack'd

Number of posts : 17318

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 8:12 pm

Frances wrote:

It's funny you are saying this Frannie. We are looking after our neighbor's house while he and his wife are in FL for the Winter (he's 90 and she's 95 lol). Anyway, he heard about our Blizzard so he called yesterday to see if his house was OK. I assured him everything was fine and asked how he and his wife were. He told me they were "chilly". I wanted to put my hand through the phone and slap him one lol. Then, he told me he would be sending me grapefruits and oranges for our troubles Very Happy

Our clean up will be for weeks. There will have to be snow removal, just plowing isn't cutting it, 29" is a lot of snow!
Back to top Go down
Frances

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 10:00 pm

KelliM wrote:
I lived in central Florida for a couple of years and although I didn't miss the snow, I did miss the seasons changing.

I love autumn!

KMKB wrote:

I live in Marietta GA- just northwest of Atlanta! We moved up here during the house boom because we could not afford a house in Naples. We loved it there and are still planning on moving back at some point. I like Atlanta since we get snow but it is gone in a day or two. It is still too cold for me during the winter.
Georgia is too cold for you? LOL. I hope you get back to Florida ASAP, it's perfect weather for you. Maybe the economy will right itself soon and my husband can find a permanent position in Dallas or anywhere north (Canada would be cool) and you all can get back to Florida. happy dance 2

Jack'd wrote:
Frances wrote:

It's funny you are saying this Frannie. We are looking after our neighbor's house while he and his wife are in FL for the Winter (he's 90 and she's 95 lol). Anyway, he heard about our Blizzard so he called yesterday to see if his house was OK. I assured him everything was fine and asked how he and his wife were. He told me they were "chilly". I wanted to put my hand through the phone and slap him one lol. Then, he told me he would be sending me grapefruits and oranges for our troubles Very Happy

Our clean up will be for weeks. There will have to be snow removal, just plowing isn't cutting it, 29" is a lot of snow!

Jack'd, what a mess. I'm sorry you have to deal with the negatives of living in a snowy climate. At your neighbors age, the weather here in central FL can seem chilly. Yesterday the high was about 53 and our low tonight will be 37 but these days are extremely rare. As I said before, in about three days the temps go back up to around 77 with lows in the bottom 60's. And, Florida oranges and grapefruits are delish! I hope you enjoy your box of fruit. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    December 28th 2010, 11:24 pm

The snow and cold weather can bite me! lol. yes I'm bitter! I had to drive home in a freaking blizzard tonight, and oh yea, I was having braxton hicks contractions too!!!!! I HATE snow! Go AWAY! I don't know how you guys that are getting 10+ inches can handle it. I don't mind it til I have to drive in it, then I just want to scream, kick, and throw a temper trantrum like a kid who didn't get his favorite toy at mcdonalds!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's talk about the weather!    

Back to top Go down

Let's talk about the weather!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: