Registration date : 2009-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   December 24th 2010, 10:31 am

Richard is also one of my favorites.

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3181
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   December 24th 2010, 1:03 pm

My favorites are Angelo, Richard, Tiffan , and Carla.

Administrator

Number of posts : 35538
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   December 24th 2010, 1:56 pm

My favorites are Richard, Antonia, and Carla
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 5th 2011, 5:26 pm

Episode 5

Dim Sum Lose Sum

In a series first, head judge Tom Colicchio enters the competition, challenging the chefs to beat his time in creating a dish. Then, the meal masters head to Chinatown to serve up dim sum for locals
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9262
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 5th 2011, 8:52 pm

Thanks Nancy for the reminder. I am so excited to have it back on.
Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3491
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 11:28 am

I thought it was so cool to see Tom cooking in that quick fire challenge! He always seemed like one of those chefs who doesn't really cook in restaurants anymore and just owns them, it was nice to see him sweat a little.

I was so worried for my boo, Carla! I hate seeing her on the bottom, she doesn't deserve to be in the same group with that stupid loser bitch, Jamie. I can't believe she slid by again! Ugh! Casey shouldn't have tried to do the chicken feet, especially since she wasn't going to get to cook most of the dish herself, but I didn't think she deserved to go home for it. I can't wait to go to her restaurant, Brownstone, when I move to Texas!

I sort of love Mike Isabella. lol I was so happy that he won the Prius! I was a bit surprised when I heard he was going to be on All-Stars, because even though he was one of my favorites on his season I didn't think he was one of the best chefs there - I'm really glad he's stepped up and is proving himself this time around.

Do you guys have any early finale predicitons? It's so hard for me to imagine who will make it there! I have one chef in my head that I think will for sure make it but I don't want to jinx her. Razz (not Carla, I can't see her being eliminated but I think it's just because I love her so much. lol)
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 11:56 am

I like Richard and both Tiffani's. I will say I enjoy Tre but that's mostly because I love listening to him laugh.

Last night to me was one big clusterfuck. By the end of that challenge I didn't know who made what or if the judges liked anyone. Sad to see Casey go.
Back to top Go down
speedy0103
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3685
Registration date : 2009-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 12:01 pm

So, I watched the show for the first time last night and have now been officially sucked in. I liked Mike too! Is he a fireman? He could cook for me any night. demon banana I don't care for Jaime at all. I really thought she was going. Is Carla the tall black lady? I liked her. She also looks kinds of like a guy friend I know. She could be his sister. I was LMAO watching them try and cook at that Chinese restaurant. I would have just fallen on the floor in tears.
Back to top Go down
loire
Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 478
Registration date : 2010-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 12:22 pm

I love this show I really like Richard and Carla.
Back to top Go down
sammieso
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2367

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 6:55 pm

I loved watching Tom cook in the quick fire challenge. Jamie should have been eliminated last night instead of Casey IMO.

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 6th 2011, 7:59 pm

Sorry don't know how to bring over just the link but Anthony Bourdain's blog about last night. Sooo good!

This episode was loads of fun for us. Not so much fun for its victims.

Big trouble in Little China for our exhausted warriors tonight, many of whom seemed to stagger blindly into the meat grinder of a busy dim-sum restaurant kitchen already looking like injured animals, seeking only to be put out of their misery. Like a late '70s Dee Dee Ramone, (who wrote the classic tune referenced above), they moved like sleepwalkers towards an unarticulated but ever more desperate need for oblivion. And when the end came, when the judges' cruel gazes settled finally on Casey, the survivors looked surprised -- and even a bit disappointed. They're tired and cranky, these survivors. They've been pushed hard. And it showed. And as in so many situations where people find themselves in moments of extremis, circumstances brought out the best, the worst -- and the most insane of behaviors. The episode began on a giddy note. Who among us was not thrilled and delighted to see Tom Colicchio step up and challenge the young 'uns to a head-to-head Quickfire Challenge? Who did not delight in his ballsy and unexpected demonstration of how, exactly, the old school motherf---ing professionals do it? Let me tell you friends: the magic of editing can do a lot. But it can't dummy up moves like that. Fast. SO fast. Focused. Smart. And demonstrating the kind of brisk, sharp, economy of movement you only get after years and years of working at places with only the very highest standards. In eight and a half minutes of cooking, Tom showed the contestants, the audience, and any doubters, all the qualities that separate the big kids from the grown-ups. Qualities, by the way, in which nearly every contestant was lacking during the hideous, all-time Chinese clusterf--- that followed.

To be charitable, it was clear that no one -- even before the Elimination Challenge -- was at the top of their game. The strange but very talented Angelo, after having been told specifically to avoid doing a tartare or a raw dish, broke right out of the starting gate and blundered into a crudo like a doped but lame thoroughbred. Jamie's single clam sat forlornly at the bottom of a bowl like a dried turd. Frankly, I think they should have put her out of her misery and sent her home right there. Even the mighty Dale managed only to unravel a lonely strand of tragic "pad thai" noodle that the judges examined as if it were a prolapsed intestine.

Marcel, however, demonstrated uncharacteristic good sense and gained valuable time for himself when rather then follow the crazed herd to the refrigerators, he walked right over to Tom's leftover mise-en-place and worked with that. In spite of his quick thinking -- and what was apparently a good dish --it will not be Marcel driving down the street, sipping on gin and juice in a spanking new Toyota. It will not be Marcel, flashing faux gang signs and come-hither smiles at the ladies from the drivers seat of a shiny 2011 Prius. No.

Mike Isabella won the car.

In the most entertaining way possible, what followed was a slaughterfest. The worst, ugliest, most traumatic, mass meltdown in the history of Top Chef. And let me tell you, whatever sadistic freak, whatever evil genius designed this particular challenge really knew their business. This person -- whomever they are -- knows the meaning of pain and humiliation. They are probably wearing head to toe latex, right now, strangling a kitten with a mailed glove. They knew -- they had to know -- what was going to happen. They built, after all, the perfect mouse trap.

You'd have to have been to a Hong Kong "tea house" -- which is where you get that kind of traditional dim sum service over there -- to understand what was likely to happen. To be sure what would happen. You'd have to have seen first-hand what it's like on a busy weekend brunch service, a huge dining room of 250 Chinese customers, all clamoring for food from a score or so of passing food trolleys. What happened (in the dining room, anyway) during Elimination Challenge was NORMAL. Hell, these customers were well behaved! In Hong Kong, you'd see little old ladies elbowing full grown men in the kidneys to get at a too-scarce dish of favored dim sum. Plates clatter, men smoke. They drink gallons of tea until tweaked out on caffeine like meth heads at the end of a three day jag. They push and shove themselves into crowds by the kitchen doors, unwilling to take a chance that their favorite dishes might not make it across the giant dining room. They actually walk IN to the kitchen and yank bamboo steamers filled with dumplings off the stove tops! It's a mosh pit, a scrum, where the only rules are: you get what you want -- by any means necessary. And that seldom means sitting quietly at your table waiting for the waiters to come by. Imagine a hockey-themed restaurant. Where everybody's on skates -- and hungry.

The New York version, in Chinatown, or in Sunset Park, while lacking the same potential for ultra-violence in the cause of lunch, can get rowdy as well. This was a tough crowd. The toughest.

Which is to say that as soon as it was decided, in whatever House of Pain at Bravo Central, that this week's challenge would take place in a large dim sum joint, with Chinese customers, the contestants were doomed. There would be blood. And shame.

As so often happens, some contestants declined to wait to saw their own heads off, rushing at warp speed to make the Worst Possible Decisions imaginable.

Jamie, having failed time and again at scallops, chose to stick her tragically injured hand straight into the fuse box -- again -- and make -- wait for it… scallops (!!!) --this time with the added value of putting them inside crappy, store-bought dumpling wrappers. This for a crowd of Chinese,
for whom dumplings are nearly a religion. She later complained that "service is a pain in the ass." Something she might have considered before choosing the restaurant business as a vocation.

Tiffani made … salad. Something you see in a dim sum house about as often as BBQ pork ribs in Riyadh -- and about as welcome.

Tre made something sticky and gooey -- in a halved out orange, counting on it to freeze up and stay cold -- while being wheeled around a giant dining room filled with 250 people for indefinite periods of time.

But it was Casey who made the most spectacularly bad -- if bizarrely noble and audacious -- decision to prepare CHICKEN FEET. I like chicken feet. And I admire anyone who dares serve them -- outside of a Chinese night market, dim sum house, or street stall. It's a beloved dish in parts of Asia, and Latin America, a comfort food that often reminds one of earlier, harder, more austere times. They're bony, gnarly, gelatinous, and cartilaginous. And that's when they're good. They are, for most, an acquired taste. Most people who do like chicken feet like the chicken feet their mom would hand them in the kitchen when they were kids. But when you're not a dim sum expert, not Chinese, and certainly NOT anybody in the dining room's mom, it is a dish that good sense would tell you it's best to avoid. They have to be prepped and cooked just right. One of the more painfully hilarious moments of the night was watching poor Casey, standing in front of a huge bus-tub heaped with chicken feet, painstakingly trimming off the nails. Having decided on making perhaps the single worst dish one could choose for a Top Chef Elimination Challenge (other than maybe durian souffles -- or balut over-easy), Casey hastened her rush over the cliff by then turning this thing over to someone else. The results were inevitable.

.Of the carnage and recriminations, the filth and the fury that followed, I will speak little. Antonia, once again, became the repository for all the world's sins, left, it appeared, to cook nearly everything single handed. What a Trojan! She's like John Shaft -- always willing to help her brotherman, demonstrating a generosity of spirit that nearly doomed her. Had her own shrimp toast not been delicious, it might well have been her head on the block. For much of the show -- whether because of the edit or not, it looked like she was the only person moving in a kitchen full of stunned carp. As at the aftermath of a violent bar fight, the others present creeped slowly and stealthily away from the horror, unwilling to get blood or hair on their shoes. But she hung in. And at Judges' Table, when confronted about her central role in this greatest of face-plants, she stood up under brutal interrogation like a hard case career con refusing to put the much guiltier Casey in the soup. She made Sammy the Bull Gravano and Whitey Bulger look like punks. In the same situation, I suspect, the guys would have been jostling each other to drop a dime on each other.

It was so bad that teacher had to show up. Tom Colicchio, in a rare appearance in the kitchen, Ramsay-like, descended into the fray to see what the major malfunction might be and chastise the guilty. But there were too many offenders to single out one offender. Guilt was everywhere.
He looked around the beleaguered crew and saw only the faces of the doomed.

Who among them emerged from this sea of ordure unscathed? No one. Even Dale, the winner of the day, whose sticky rice impressed the customers, the judges and even guest judge Susur Lee, was heard to comment: "I feel like I robbed a bank." Yes, Dale. Yes you did. And good for you.

It is a terrible thing, the worst thing ever for a talented chef, to go home after a really, really awful night, knowing they did a lousy job. That their customers left unhappy--that they failed, screwed over a dining room full of people who came to them with empty bellies and hearts filled with hope and expectation. One has disappointed not just room full of strangers, but oneself. And having been in that lonely, dark place, I feel for the contestants -- all of them -- who endured this most difficult challenge.

But Casey should know that she showed us all how to go out with grace. That she owned up admirably to having "left in Antonia's hand" a ticking time bomb. That she showed us how to lose -- nobly, audaciously, and with style.

Back to top Go down
Peaches
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4656
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 9th 2011, 3:03 pm

Why is Jamie still there? She has sucked in the last three challenges. This last challenge she sucked at both of her dishes. I don't think Casey deserved to go over Jamie.

My favs left are Richard, Carla, and Fabio. I can't stand Dale. I'm so tired of his tough guy act. I can't believe I'll be pulling for Marcel next week since I hated him on his season.

Back to top Go down
catty
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 15009
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 13th 2011, 4:51 pm

I like Dale, Carla, Angelo, and Mike.

I'm so glad Jamie is gone.

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 13th 2011, 5:49 pm

bravo Carla on another win!
Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 10:36 am

I'm still so sad about losing Tiffani! Sad I hated her on Season 1 but she was so fierce and kick-ass this season. I will miss her! But was anyone else not surprised to hear about her gf at home? lol My bf acted all shocked but I think it was pretty obvious that she was a lesbian.

I love restaurant wars! It's always one of the best episodes imo. I just started watching so I'll post more thoughts when I'm done, they just showed Tiffani being cut at the beginning and it reminded how sad I was to see her go.
Back to top Go down
Top cat
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2442
Registration date : 2009-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 10:41 am

Does anyone know who went home last night.I DVR it and it was a longer show,
so I didn't get to see the last 15 mins.I was thinking Marcel or Tiffani.Anyone know??
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 11:12 am

Top cat wrote:
so I didn't get to see the last 15 mins.I was thinking Marcel or Tiffani.Anyone know??

Marcel went home.
Richard won the 10,000 from his team.
Good episode, and i love restatuarant wars, but Dale's team just killed it last night, they were quite boring to watch (well except for Fabio and his front of the house)
Back to top Go down
Top cat
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 11:18 am

bergen wrote:
Top cat wrote:

Marcel went home.
Richard won the 10,000 from his team.
Good episode, and i love restatuarant wars, but Dale's team just killed it last night, they were quite boring to watch (well except for Fabio and his front of the house)

Thanks so much.I hate Marcel.Thank god he is gone.What I saw was a great episode.This All Stars has been great.Very surprised at who has gone home so far too.

Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 11:46 am

No i agree it was a good episode topcat, i was just saying I dont think I ever saw a team do so great in Restaurant Wars like Dale's team, there was really nothing to show of them, I acutally at one point got nervous and thougt are they setting this up that everything went so great for them but since the diners choose they would still lose.

I am loving ALL STARS. I think I am pulling for Richard to win it.
Back to top Go down
blueeyed
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3140
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 1:12 pm

I can't believe Marcel went home! I figured they would keep him around for the drama he brings.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/blueeyed100
Top cat
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 20th 2011, 1:50 pm

bergen wrote:
No i agree it was a good episode topcat, i was just saying I dont think I ever saw a team do so great in Restaurant Wars like Dale's team, there was really nothing to show of them, I acutally at one point got nervous and thougt are they setting this up that everything went so great for them but since the diners choose they would still lose.

I am loving ALL STARS. I think I am pulling for Richard to win it.

I like Richard to win too.He did get cheated last time.

Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   January 26th 2011, 1:10 pm

No new episode tonight! Sad
Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 3rd 2011, 12:32 am

Tonight during "Face-Off" on Syfy they showed a commercial for "Marcel's Quantam Kitchen", starring Marcel from Top Chef! He's never been my favorite but I think it's super cool that he got his own show.

http://www.syfy.com/marcelsquantumkitchen/
Back to top Go down
rallen
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 4th 2011, 5:20 pm

its_glinda_now wrote:
Tonight during "Face-Off" on Syfy they showed a commercial for "Marcel's Quantam Kitchen", starring Marcel from Top Chef! He's never been my favorite but I think it's super cool that he got his own show.

http://www.syfy.com/marcelsquantumkitchen/
aww he has been one of my faves so happy for him!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4460
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 9th 2011, 10:07 pm

My fan girl love for Carla overflows in tonight's episode.
Back to top Go down
dmj
Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 906
Registration date : 2010-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 9th 2011, 10:28 pm

mytwocents wrote:
My fan girl love for Carla overflows in tonight's episode.

I freakin' love her, too. Her enthusiasm just makes me happy!! I wish you could win the whole thing this time!!
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 7:54 am

SOOOO excited for sesame street next week, especially my love Cookie Monster.
Back to top Go down
lallybelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8088
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 7:57 am

I LOVE Carla too! She's too awesome.
Back to top Go down
rallen
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 8:54 am

i love carla too but soooo sad fabio is gone! hate dale!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4656
Registration date : 2008-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 10:39 am

rallen wrote:
i love carla too but soooo sad fabio is gone! hate dale!

THIS!
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 6:03 pm

I so excited for next week's quickfire!!!

http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-8/videos/its-cookie-time
Back to top Go down
sammieso
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2367

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 10th 2011, 7:16 pm

I was so happy Carla won. Really wish Dale would have left instead of Fabio.

All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 11th 2011, 8:11 am

sammieso wrote:
I was so happy Carla won. Really wish Dale would have left instead of Fabio.
this this annnnnnnd this!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 16th 2011, 9:11 pm

I could not wipe the goofy smile off my face while watching that Quickfire.

Elmo, so coot!
Back to top Go down
mytwocents
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 16th 2011, 10:01 pm

OMG, I was so nervous for my girl Carla.
Back to top Go down
LaLa
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 7278
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 17th 2011, 12:40 am

FInally...Angelo is out! WOOHOO!!! I am all for Carla and Richard at this point...at least I like them. Fabio leaving a huge void in cast.....missing his voice.

I love Janelle for being brutally honest. That’s what made viewers fall in love with her from the first season. She owned who she is. She called out the nerd herd to their faces. She doesn’t make any excuses for who she is, and everyone loves her honesty. ~ Julie Chen
Back to top Go down
rallen
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 17th 2011, 6:28 am

LaLa wrote:
FInally...Angelo is out! WOOHOO!!! I am all for Carla and Richard at this point...at least I like them. Fabio leaving a huge void in cast.....missing his voice.
aww no...I think richard is a bigger ass this season...so i guess he will probably win. I liked angelo and fabio. I hope one of the girls wins.

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 17th 2011, 9:44 am

so blais/dale/carla final 3. Do they do a final 3, or is it always 2?
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 17th 2011, 10:34 am

They are editing Dale like a jerk, so that people will be happy when he leaves is my guess.
My favs are Richard, Carla and Antonia.
Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   February 17th 2011, 11:03 am

bergen wrote:
so blais/dale/carla final 3. Do they do a final 3, or is it always 2?

The finale is always two episodes and iirc they have the final 4 in part one and the final 3 in part two.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"   

Back to top Go down

Top Chef - Season 8 "All Stars"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Reality Television :: Top Chef-
Jump to: