AuthorMessage
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5714
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 4:10 pm

so am I the only Storm nut on AABB?

I love storms, the louder the better. I would so go on one of those storm chasing trips.
I hate the distruction and lose of life but the storms I love.
Kind of like bungee jumping and sky diving, I get the pull of the rush, but would not like to go spat.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35312
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 4:16 pm

I don't chase them, they come to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 4:23 pm

and you are in Tornado alley, right?

we get them but not near as much and certainly they can't be seen from distance here. I would so love to see one that is moving across empty fields from distance. my tv is on weather channel as I type.
Back to top Go down
blueeyed
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3138
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 4:57 pm

I hate to say this but we don't really have "bad" storms in California. But I love watching lighting, it doesn't happen very often, maybe once every few years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.twitter.com/blueeyed100
memphisbelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8638
Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:04 pm

We are having lightning right now! We have it all the time - usually once a week at least. There are 60 MPH winds with quarter size hail.

And of course it is doing this since it is BBQ fest - a serious competition that is part of Memphis in May - and there are thousands of people on the river with tents and huge grills everywhere.
Back to top Go down
http://http:/ / imaginethismidsouth.auctionsound.com/
Mappy
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:05 pm

I love watching them on television!

I've been freaky about thunderstorms for many years...since a hurricane and my husband and children were walking on the beach while I had a bit of quiet time.

He was able to get the girls to a parking garage under a condo building and managed to have one of the occupants call me. I drove to them through flooded streets with the lightning cracking and crashing around me. Barely visible with the rain pounding on the car.

The reunion with my family that night is still the greatest contentment I ever felt.

Lessons learned. Always check the sky behind you and be thankful when your wife insists you take some change and copy the house phone number down.
Back to top Go down
memphisbelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8638
Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:10 pm

That would be horrifying. And that is a good lesson, and one I am sure no one in your family has every forgotten!
Back to top Go down
http://http:/ / imaginethismidsouth.auctionsound.com/
BarbaraAnn
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1023
Registration date : 2009-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:28 pm

blueeyed wrote:
I hate to say this but we don't really have "bad" storms in California. But I love watching lighting, it doesn't happen very often, maybe once every few years.

I grew up in CA near San Diego and only remember lightening one time when we were camping in the mountains. When I moved to TX as a teenager I really loved thunderstorms, I thought they were sooo exciting. I loved to sit on the porch and watch them. Now I have seem too many, blown down fences, lost shingles, hail damage, high water, tornado watches, and worrying about everyone in the family getting home safely when they are out driving in it....the thrill is gone (except when we really need the rain in the summer).

I have been listening to the storms and wind all day today, the news is showing lots of problems around the area and seems we will have a soggy weekend.

Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:31 pm

Yes.. we had a low grade tornado move though yesterday morning. My house just got a lot of tree limbs down. And it's rained or been cloudy for a week and one day.

The reason I know it has been 8 days is I planted my tomatoes and they need warmth and sun and damnit.. it's been so soggy, now I'm worried about them.

The National Severe Storms Lab is down in my hometown of Norman OK. We are very weather conscious around here.
Back to top Go down
Mappy

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:35 pm

Dayum! A huge system is moving through my area right now. Guess I should follow my own advice... look out the window and check the weather. Had no idea this was coming.

Be safe everyone!
Back to top Go down
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 5:45 pm

It is not that I am not aware or frightened by them. But they just have this almost primal draw for me. I grew up with grandmother taking me for walks and pointing out parts of her roof still wrapped around trees from the one that took out her house and digging in dirt at old homeplace to find stuff from that storm.

Nancy, your hometown, Norman was hit in last bunch of tornados. Since you grew up with this, do they scare you, do you have healthy respect for them or do they amaze you?

I have all of the above for them.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 6:01 pm

mimTN wrote:
It is not that I am not aware or frightened by them. But they just have this almost primal draw for me. I grew up with grandmother taking me for walks and pointing out parts of her roof still wrapped around trees from the one that took out her house and digging in dirt at old homeplace to find stuff from that storm.

Nancy, your hometown, Norman was hit in last bunch of tornados. Since you grew up with this, do they scare you, do you have healthy respect for them or do they amaze you?

I have all of the above for them.

No, they don't scare me. I've had a few near misses. Yes, "healthy respect" is a good term for it.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 6:02 pm

I uploaded a few pictures that I took of our neighborhood yesterday morning.

Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 6:03 pm

Back to top Go down
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 7:00 pm

wow, Nancy, thanks for those pictures. When I saw them all I could think of is the sound of limbs breaking off trees. It is a sound like no other.
Back to top Go down
heyhay28
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5170
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 14th 2010, 7:55 pm

I am CRAZY about the storms...I never even paid attention and couldn't really remember the difference between a tornado and a hurricane until Jon started working for FEMA (I mean I knew one was on water and one was on land but I intermixed the names very often)...growing up in Utah it was just NEVER something I had to think about or deal with.
I'll never forget our first spring in Georgia...I thought I had seen a rainstorm before HAHAH I was wrong and the thunder oh boy is it loud.
I normally pay VERY close attention because it greatly effects Jon's job and our life and it was how I knew where we might be living next my favorite channel is probably either HSN or the weather channel

I have a new respect for storms and look at them totally different, I dn't knw if I could ever be a chaser but I've learned a lt paying attention to different storms and their paths the last three years
Back to top Go down
FRANGA
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2234
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   May 15th 2010, 10:48 am

Nancy,what a shame for the beautiful trees in your neighborhood!
Heyhay,I too love to watch storms but I do it from a safe distance.LOL

PostSubject: Re: Storm Chasers   

Back to top Go down

Storm Chasers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Other Reality TV Shows-
Jump to: