View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Moody
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 41510
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:29 am

A&E TV ON MONDAYS 10/9 C - they play repeats and you can catch it on demand.

O.K. I thought I would experience some level of empathy for these folks on Hoarders, considering they are dealing with OCD, a mental illness. I haven't felt any empathy, they make me mad!!! I swear this show freaks me out, and now I look around my house and when it starts getting too messy I starting thinking "OMG, we are hoarders" and yes, I have even yelled this out when I was in a bad mood one day.

I am the opposite of a hoarder, I throw everything away so it is so hard to feel empathy or relate to these folk. I can relate to how overwhelmed they are .... once a house gets to that level of a mess, anyone would feel like they couldn't handle it. I let dishes pile up in the sink.. I am certainly a bit messy myself.

OK, the cat episode. This elderly couple fed all the homeless cats in the neighborhood. People would drop off cats there in the night, etc. The garage was a huge dump, as well as the house. They thought they had about 23 cats and the woman was getting in trouble for cruelty to animals for the number of cats she had. She was determined to keep her cats and felt that feeding cats was a crucial part of her life. Well, when the clean up crew came in, there were like 100 cats and half of them where dead. Many that had been dead for years in that garage. Most of the cats had to be put to sleep because they had respiratory problems, but the couple ended up being allowed to keep 3. So that was disturbing.

Then there was the father and son. I am not going to get into all the details, but the son (probably in his 20's) wouldn't clean up the dog hair from his dog because he thought each time he threw away her hair it was taking time off her life. Same went with everything. Bottles, food etc.

What I don't get is how these hoarders live with the smell? The clean up crews practically pass out without their masks on. I know I should be more sympathetic to these people. They are mentally ill, and throwing things away creates severe anxiety in them... BUT.... I feel like they all act so ungrateful for the help they receive.

So you have to watch this show it is so freaky!
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:36 am

Sample before and after... but you can see lots of pictures here....

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/photos/
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:38 am

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/video/

or you can watch it online. lol!
Back to top Go down
jfan
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3181
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:44 am

I deleted my thread and will put it here.

Hoarders is one of those train wreck shows for me. It unnerves me and yet I feel complused to watch it. I am always finding extra stuff to throw away after that show.

I grew up with a bit of a hoarder - my Mom is like a mild case of these folks. Her home office and their basement look similiar to some of these people's houses (minus the garbage). My Mom insists on holding onto articles and magazines from 30 years ago because she might "need" them. I have adopted a minimalist decorating style and am constantly taking things to Goodwill, giving things away, or putting them in the trash. If anything new comes into the house, I feel like I have to get rid of the amount of stuff that would take up the same amount of space. My sisters are the opposite - not hoarders per se - but they do like clutter.

As for the show, it is hard not to get impatient with these folks. They go to such an effort to develop strategies to work around the mess that I just want to tell them to put the same energy into cleaning it up.

Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 770
Registration date : 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:54 am

I have not watched the one on A&E but I have watched the one on TLC, Hoarding:Buried Alive.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/hoarding-buried-alive/

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 8:56 am

emmasam wrote:
I have not watched the one on A&E but i have watched the one on TLC, Hoarding:Buried Alive.

http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/hoarding-buried-alive/

Well now I don't know which one I watch. They are probably about the same.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35417
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 9:05 am

I have some tiny hoarding instincts. My thought is "what if I'm poor again?" then I might need it. It is mostly kitchen items. Fortunately I have cabinet space for my junk. LOL - I haven't been "poor" since childhood, but I remember the struggles my parents had.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Lori

Number of posts : 22967
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 9:21 am

I'm a bit of a hoarder as is my hubby. I swear the minute I get rid of something, I then find I could have used it! lol!
Back to top Go down
BlueBonnet
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3013
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 10:21 am

I watch both shows. I have a hard time understanding someone's attachment to trash. Some of the homes are filled with garbage, the hoarders admit that they haven't taken trash out in several years. I can sort of sympathize with the "shoppers." I don't understand the huge clothing piles though. What I will never understand are the bathroom conditions like the ones in the pics posted. Where are these people bathing? Their kitchens are equally disgusting. One lady couldn't bring herself to throw away spoiled food. The vegetable bins in her fridge had 3 inches of brown slime and the men from Got Junk were outside vomiting. She claimed that the expiration dates on food are wrong and food can be safely eaten long after the expiration.

Ewww to the dead flies hanging on the pest strips! I have seen shows where they found dead animals. One lady had goats chewing through her walls.

It seems like in many cases, these people grew up with parents that were hoarders and their problems got worse after the death of someone close to them.
Back to top Go down
Lori

Number of posts : 22967

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 10:24 am

Well in cases where it is really out of control, those people have some type of underlying mental health issues. It goes way beyond just being lazy or sloppy.
Back to top Go down
BlueBonnet
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 10:28 am

I know, it's just hard to understand.
Back to top Go down
jfan
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3181
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 10:50 am

I watch the one on TLC too - they show a new episode Sunday nights at 10 and the previous episode at 9.

I like what I have seen of the TLC show because they focus on how it effects family members and what the triggers seem to be. One of the women featured this week had a husband and three sons. The 13 year old son had to spend most of the time in his bedroom and of course could have no friends over. The middle son was off at college and I think was the one trying to "force" the family to get help. The husband was talking about divorce but indicated that he could not abandon his sons (the oldest son was mentally handicapped and living at home) to the situation so would have to kick out his wife. Of course, that upset her.

Apparently, her hoarding started after a serious car accident when the oldest son was very young (his injuries caused the mental handicapped). It got worse when the middle son left for college and she started filling up his room with stuff (which expanded to almost all rooms of the house.

She seems to be a compulsive shopper as well - she had enough shampoo to last 16 years, something like 30 vases with artificial flowers, boxes and boxes filled with purses, etc.

Number of posts : 16314

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 11:10 am

I watch both of these and they blow my mind!! Some of the situations are so sad and myself and my husband just shake our heads. Very hard to understand b/c I am not a hoarder at all. Clutter gives me anxiety LOL. I am constantly throwing things out. I find it challenging and fascinating to watch. I love the before and after pictures its amazing.
Back to top Go down
blondie55
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5734

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 11:56 am

BlueBonnet wrote:
I watch both shows. I have a hard time understanding someone's attachment to trash. Some of the homes are filled with garbage, the hoarders admit that they haven't taken trash out in several years. I can sort of sympathize with the "shoppers." I don't understand the huge clothing piles though. What I will never understand are the bathroom conditions like the ones in the pics posted. Where are these people bathing? Their kitchens are equally disgusting. One lady couldn't bring herself to throw away spoiled food. The vegetable bins in her fridge had 3 inches of brown slime and the men from Got Junk were outside vomiting. She claimed that the expiration dates on food are wrong and food can be safely eaten long after the expiration.

Ewww to the dead flies hanging on the pest strips! I have seen shows where they found dead animals. One lady had goats chewing through her walls.

It seems like in many cases, these people grew up with parents that were hoarders and their problems got worse after the death of someone close to them.

I found the episode with the spoiled food disgusting. Did you see what she did with the cabbage? It was all moldy on the outside, so she just peeled it back until she found a piece that wasn't covered in mold. And she had sour cream that was MONTHS past the expiration date, and her reasoning was that the expiry dates were wrong because "sour" cream couldn't go bad. Yuck.

I usually have a hard time empathizing with these people as well. The psychologists that are on the show repeatedly say that Hoarding is a disease and it's not laziness, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. If it was just knick knacks, or collections maybe, but what about all the garbage? And how do they deal with the smell? There was one episode though where I really did feel for the woman. Her parents were killed when she was a child and she was sent to live with an aunt and uncle. The aunt was really cruel and never let her have her own possessions. When she got her first job she was able to start buying herself things. The girl came home from school one day to find that her aunt had gone in her room and taken ALL of her belongings and put them in a pile in the backyard. The aunt then made her watch as she set everything on fire. Because of this, this lady became a compulsive shopper in adulthood and refuses to throw anything away. If she sees a shirt she likes she buys it in every color. She owns a home, but has to rent an apartment to live in because there is no room for her in her house. She literally buys everything she wants because she can... it was a sad episode.

All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1907

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 12:07 pm

Great topic and very thought provoking show.

I saw the cats episode and was shocked by what I saw. I was also very angry with the ladies family for their attitude. They seemed like it was more of an imposition on themselves to get involved and help her out.

Somehow, I wanted to take a bath after the show.

If I don't use something at least once every 6 months, out it goes. I'm not a neatnick, but clutter drives me up the wall.

The basement is full of my son's childhood treasures, comic books, transformers things like that. They drive me nuts, but at least they are hidden in two huge closets. He says that there are some pretty valuable things down there.

The RV has to be spotless, it is small and anything out of place or dirty sticks out like a sore thumb.

Moody

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 1:01 pm

I feel really stupid about this, but when I was doing my post doc, I had a patient who was severely obese and had a son with severe mental problems. The focus of our sessions were on parenting and her weight. She would bring up the mess in her house on occasion. She talked about a "room" with lots of junk and needing to get organized. I kind of would address that with her, but didn't put much thought into it.

Looking back, I suspect she had a serious hoarding problem going on that she didn't fully come out and admit and I wasn't aware enough of this problem enough to pick up on her cries for help.

I think LOTS of people have hoarding tendencies. I think it's an animal instinct.
Back to top Go down
Mappy

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 1:10 pm

Just seeing that photo of the bathroom...before AND after freaked me out. Gross.
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16468
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 1:23 pm

I do think that we all have certain hoarding instincts. I'm fascinated by the show Hoarders. The level of clutter and trash in some of these homes just astounds me. I guess the psychological compulsion is incredibly strong - it just seems so resistant to change. The smell must be overwhelming.
I'd call my family "neat" hoarders. Everything in its place. Lol
My Mom collected shoes, handbags, costume jewelery from the 30's/40's/50's and fabric. My Dad made her this huge cedar closet next to her sewing room in the basement just to store her fabrics. She had a passion for making quilts and she'd set up this huge quilt frame in the rec room and go to town.
I used to haunt the flea markets and garage sales for vintage vases, McCoy pottery, art glass and old bottles for my pantry. I've now lost interest in all of it and I'm thinking of getting rid of a lot of it. I think being surrounded by things we like to look at gives us comfort and pleasure but the compulsion level of those folks on the TV show is way beyond that. Being surrounded by all this stuff must offer them some psychological comfort but it seems so self-destructive. (Like a lot of our other compulsions, I guess.)
Back to top Go down
ndd123
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 7974
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   April 20th 2010, 6:24 pm

I heard talk about this show and I don't know if I can ever watch the show where the lady wears diapers because her bathroom has been broken for six years.

I saw the show with the cat lady and father/son a month ago. I just can not imagine living in such filth. The show does make you rethink any clutter you may have around the house.

Back to top Go down
BlueBonnet
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 12:04 am

Today was an all day marathon on A&E of Hoarders. They also aired 2 new shows. The last one was an update of Season 1 people. The lady with the rotten cabbage and pumpkins was back. She's still buying lots of food and has difficulty throwing away food past the expiration date, but she's working on it. She's still in therapy. I hope she continues to do well. She must have a cast-iron stomach to eat spoiled food. She won't throw it out unless it's "puffy." Her house was fairly neat and tidy. Another lady that lives with her mentally ill daughter lives in a mess again. She started hauling crap back in from the garage as soon as the show left.

Moody, I know you are a trained professional. Would these people have better luck fixing the problem if they went through a few months of therapy first, then attempted to clean and throw stuff out? It seems like that might lessen some of their anxiety if they understood what their problems were and had the tools to deal with them.
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 4:10 am

Yes, ideally they would get desensitized prior to the show.. but then there wouldn't be a show!
Back to top Go down
ndd123
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:22 pm

I watched a lot of the Hoarders shows yesterday. I saw the follow-up show last night and I was slightly sad seeing how many of them returned to hoarding.

I watched Obsessed after Hoarders and OMG... Did anyone see it? The girl with the cleanliness issues was over the top. My mind never went to what she was doing in the shower until I saw the objects. When they mentioned she lost two pints of blood, I thought she rubbed her skin raw. This show stayed with me today. It is good to see she improved so much by the end of the show and I hope she continues to make progress. She seemed to have a good therapist.

Back to top Go down
Gracie
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3672

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:26 pm

BlueBonnet wrote:
Today was an all day marathon on A&E of Hoarders. They also aired 2 new shows. The last one was an update of Season 1 people. The lady with the rotten cabbage and pumpkins was back. She's still buying lots of food and has difficulty throwing away food past the expiration date, but she's working on it. She's still in therapy. I hope she continues to do well. She must have a cast-iron stomach to eat spoiled food. She won't throw it out unless it's "puffy." Her house was fairly neat and tidy. Another lady that lives with her mentally ill daughter lives in a mess again. She started hauling crap back in from the garage as soon as the show left.

I've never seen this show before and got sucked in to it yesterday and watched all day! It made my little bit of clutter seem like I live in a palace compared to some of those folks homes. My husband watched some of the shows too and cleaned out the garage today! lol!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:27 pm

ndd123 wrote:
I watched a lot of the Hoarders shows yesterday. I saw the follow-up show last night and I was slightly sad seeing how many of them returned to hoarding.

I watched Obsessed after Hoarders and OMG... Did anyone see it? The girl with the cleanliness issues was over the top. My mind never went to what she was doing in the shower until I saw the objects. When they mentioned she lost two pints of blood, I thought she rubbed her skin raw. This show stayed with me today. It is good to see she improved so much by the end of the show and I hope she continues to make progress. She seemed to have a good therapist.

I saw that when it aired a few months ago. It was pretty shocking what she was doing.
Obsessed is another favorite of mine. A&E has some good shows, Hoarders, Obsessed, The First 48 and Intervention. My DVR is set to record them all, anytime.
Back to top Go down
ndd123
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:32 pm

Gracie wrote:
BlueBonnet wrote:

I've never seen this show before and got sucked in to it yesterday and watched all day! It made my little bit of clutter seem like I live in a palace compared to some of those folks homes. My husband watched some of the shows too and cleaned out the garage today! lol!

I organized my DVDs while I watched the show. It makes me want to get really organized, but not obsessive or I will be on another show...
Back to top Go down
ndd123
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:34 pm

BlueBonnet wrote:
ndd123 wrote:

I saw that when it aired a few months ago. It was pretty shocking what she was doing.
Obsessed is another favorite of mine. A&E has some good shows, Hoarders, Obsessed, The First 48 and Intervention. My DVR is set to record them all, anytime.

Last night was the first time I watched Obsessed. I have been watching Intervention for awhile. I love it when the Intervention works. Fascinating to watch these shows...

Back to top Go down
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:36 pm

I can't watch this show for long, looks too much like my own apt.
lol, long story, no I am not hoarder. It drives me nuts, just not much can do about it now.
Back to top Go down
ndd123
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:39 pm

mimTN wrote:
lol, long story, no I am not hoarder. It drives me nuts, just not much can do about it now.

Back to top Go down
Gracie
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3672

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:46 pm

mimTN wrote:

mim, I know from experience how things can get away from you. It takes a lot of work, both mental and physical to just get started.

Hug wrap up in arms

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5731
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   June 1st 2010, 10:51 pm

Gracie wrote:
mimTN wrote:

mim, I know from experience how things can get away from you. It takes a lot of work, both mental and physical to just get started.

Hug wrap up in arms

thanks, it was a "perfect storm" of events that happened. I get so frustrated I am just to sick to fix it. but, it won't always be like this, I can't imagine wanting to live surrounded by junk. Am trying hard to get well enough to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hoarders   

Back to top Go down

Hoarders
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Other Reality TV Shows-
Jump to: