Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 10:38 am

I'm excited to see Melissa perform a dance she has more time to practice and in the outfit of her choosing (although the blue outfit was pretty). I think we'll see even more of her personality shine through!
Back to top Go down
Mappy
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 10:54 am

gluedtothepc wrote:
I'm excited to see Melissa perform a dance she has more time to practice and in the outfit of her choosing (although the blue outfit was pretty). I think we'll see even more of her personality shine through!

Yep yep... I agree. I read she fit alterations in between practices. Crazy when you think about the difference in height between Melissa and Nancy. The costumer did a good job altering it for Melissa.
Back to top Go down
was
Man Candy

Number of posts : 3062
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 11:02 am

Boy, if the Bachelor was hoping the "break up" story would die quickly he can forget it now LOL. I have a feeling Melissa will be in the competition for many weeks to come. She did GREAT last night.
(The media loves a comeback and their definitley running with it this morning)
Back to top Go down
thatgirl
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9886
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 11:16 am

Mappy wrote:
gluedtothepc wrote:

Yep yep... I agree. I read she fit alterations in between practices. Crazy when you think about the difference in height between Melissa and Nancy. The costumer did a good job altering it for Melissa.

How tall is Melissa??
Back to top Go down
lallybelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8088
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 11:22 am

Can't wait until she leaves.
Back to top Go down
thatgirl
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9886
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 11:24 am

lallybelle wrote:
Can't wait until she leaves.

How come??
Back to top Go down
lallybelle
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8088

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 11:28 am

So I can enjoy the show and read the thread again.
Back to top Go down
Cassandra
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4483

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 12:12 pm

lallybelle wrote:

Lallybelle, I understand where you are coming from. I liked Melissa and, therefore, was glad she was on. I thought her dancing ability fit it. However ... if they had chosen Maggie from BB, for instance, and she had been a really good dancer, I still wouldn't have wanted her on the show. On the other hand, if my all-time favorite, Janelle, was chosen to be on, I would be ape-shit happy. Erica from BBAS, could dance, I guess, but I wouldn't have wanted to see her either. So if you don't want cross-pollination between shows, I totally understand.

ETA: I don't think her being dumped on The Bachelor will keep her in but I do think her dancing ability will. Sorry.

Number of posts : 41510
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 12:59 pm

lallybelle wrote:

So what happens in this thread when we aren't in it? I don't get it at all. We quit talking about "him". Now we are interested in the show because we "know" someone.

You like our avatars? demon banana
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16468
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:14 pm

Most of the competitors on Dancing With the Stars have a fairly tenuous grip on any current or "true" celebrity. They've had a mix of athletes and former athletes, comedians, singers, reality show alumni, former TV stars, Playboy centerfolds, business men etc. on during the various seasons. Some do well and connect with the viewing audience, some are complete disasters and many are in the middle. I love watching the show and picking a favourite couple or two. I didn't watch The Bachelor but I certainly read all about it here. I think Melissa is as qualified for this gig as any other competitor who is on or has been on the show. (Plus thirty grand a week and an opportunity to get into really great shape sounds like a blast .... not to mention all the dance instruction that you can then show off for life!)
Back to top Go down
Cassandra
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:27 pm

$30,000 a week? Wow! Is this true? I'm impressed if it is. I thought they had to pay them something, but that is pretty good money. Is that what the contestants get or contestants and professionals?

Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:28 pm

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/dancing-with-the-stars-premiere-ratings.html

Most-watched 'Dancing' premiere ever

The eighth edition of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" had the most-watched premiere in the show's history, dramatically reversing a two-year slide.

The "Dancing" kickoff was seen by 22.5 million viewers and earned a 5.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and 15 share. The reality series dominated Monday evening, up 9% from last fall's premiere in the adult demo and 5% from last spring. This is first time a "Dancing" premiere has climbed in the ratings since 2007.

The show's producers had to scramble after dancing celebs Nancy O'Dell and Jewel dropped out last week. But the eleventh-hour casting of scorned "Bachelor" contestant Melissa Rycroft was a stroke-of-genius move that not only capitalized on the dating competition’s success this season, but also managed to extend ABC's Monday night reality show "story" from one series to another. Complete with a judge praising Rycroft's performance and dissing her ex-fiance Jason Mesnick, last night's "Dancing" debut played like a feel-good "Bachelor" finale do-over with Cinderella finally going to the ball.
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16468

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:35 pm

Cassandra wrote:
$30,000 a week? Wow! Is this true? I'm impressed if it is. I thought they had to pay them something, but that is pretty good money. Is that what the contestants get or contestants and professionals?
Actually, I don't know if that's true or not ..... I read it here, but it sounds about right for a show with such high ratings and low production costs.
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:38 pm

petiteabeille wrote:
http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/03/dancing-with-the-stars-premiere-ratings.html

Most-watched 'Dancing' premiere ever

The eighth edition of ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" had the most-watched premiere in the show's history, dramatically reversing a two-year slide.

The "Dancing" kickoff was seen by 22.5 million viewers and earned a 5.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and 15 share. The reality series dominated Monday evening, up 9% from last fall's premiere in the adult demo and 5% from last spring. This is first time a "Dancing" premiere has climbed in the ratings since 2007.

The show's producers had to scramble after dancing celebs Nancy O'Dell and Jewel dropped out last week. But the eleventh-hour casting of scorned "Bachelor" contestant Melissa Rycroft was a stroke-of-genius move that not only capitalized on the dating competition’s success this season, but also managed to extend ABC's Monday night reality show "story" from one series to another. Complete with a judge praising Rycroft's performance and dissing her ex-fiance Jason Mesnick, last night's "Dancing" debut played like a feel-good "Bachelor" finale do-over with Cinderella finally going to the ball.

cheers That's exciting, isn't? I wish those of you that hate Melissa and are DWTS fans would talk more about your favorites and who you don't like rather than fuss about the involvement of that "other show". I don't think they will be talking about that "other show" after this week, Melissa will fairly shortly be known for her charm, hard work and dancing ability. I got "attached" to her on that "other show" and now I am really happy to get to enjoy her for a few more months.
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:51 pm

IA with you Moody, she was as everyone knows my absolute favorite on the other damn show and I'm so beyond excited to be able to see her on one of my favorite reality tv shows. She's very charming and I look forward to seeing her dance in the future. That being said I also like Shaun and Gilles and Lil' Kim is ok also (but her is mainly for me seeing Derek LOL). There are several others besides Melissa that I like!
Back to top Go down
Tracy
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2882

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 1:58 pm

I think its funny how other boards are so upset that she changed her mind and decided to take advantage of this great opportunity! I feel it's like if I said I will never eat a cookie again than I eat one, Does that make me a liar? or immoral? Melissa was graceful and so composed.
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:07 pm

SHAWN JOHNSON, MARK BALLAS

Another favorite of many at AABB. I though she was a cutie, but by hubby kept talking about how big her shoulders were and was distracting me. Of course, she is a gymnast!
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:10 pm

LAWRENCE TAYLOR, EDYTA SLIWINSKA

These two came in second place according to the Dial thing. I don't get that at all. He was charming, but the dance was so so.
Back to top Go down
Moody

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:11 pm

LACEY SCHWIMMER, STEVE-O

Nice to hear that STEVE-O is sober, but it's hard to get the imagery out of my head of all the nasty things he did on Jackass. I can't think of a better way to stay clean than to focus on learning to dance for this show.
Back to top Go down
Cassandra
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:12 pm

Cousin_Jake wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
Actually, I don't know if that's true or not ..... I read it here, but it sounds about right for a show with such high ratings and low production costs.
I did find this:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/dancing_with_the_stars_3/2006_Apr_19_third_season_pay

Quote :
Dancing with the Stars 3
Dancing with the Stars 3 offers a maximum salary of $245,000 to a celebrity

Ever wonder why Dancing with the Stars isn’t able to draw A- or even B-list celebrities? Perhaps it’s because of the pay.
Yesterday on his Sirius show, Howard Stern revealed the pay that was offered to his girlfriend Beth Ostrosky to appear on Dancing with the Stars 3 this fall. (That, of course, is confirmation that ABC is unsurprisingly planning a third season.)
Ostrosky was offered “a base of $125,000 for the first two weeks of the show,” plus “about $20,000 each week after, until they are voted off,” according to the New York Post. There’s a bonus of $50,000 “[i]f the show is stretched to nine weeks — for an extra recap show.” Thus, that’s a maximum of “around $245,000 for eight weeks of work, according to the contract.”
The Post assumes this is the same amount that all celebrities are offered, but it certainly seems possible that bigger stars are offered different contracts. Regardless, last season’s winner, Drew Lachey, confirms that the pay sucks. “It’s kind of ridiculous. In terms of TV and for the ratings that the show gets, it’s ridiculous,” he said.

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:15 pm

CHERYL BURKE, GILLES MARINI

Another favorite around AABB. Very good dancer and sexy!
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35462
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:20 pm

Cassandra wrote:
Cousin_Jake wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
I did find this:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/dancing_with_the_stars_3/2006_Apr_19_third_season_pay

Quote :
Dancing with the Stars 3

Ever wonder why Dancing with the Stars isn’t able to draw A- or even B-list celebrities? Perhaps it’s because of the pay.
Yesterday on his Sirius show, Howard Stern revealed the pay that was offered to his girlfriend Beth Ostrosky to appear on Dancing with the Stars 3 this fall. (That, of course, is confirmation that ABC is unsurprisingly planning a third season.)
Ostrosky was offered “a base of $125,000 for the first two weeks of the show,” plus “about $20,000 each week after, until they are voted off,” according to the New York Post. There’s a bonus of $50,000 “[i]f the show is stretched to nine weeks — for an extra recap show.” Thus, that’s a maximum of “around $245,000 for eight weeks of work, according to the contract.”
The Post assumes this is the same amount that all celebrities are offered, but it certainly seems possible that bigger stars are offered different contracts. Regardless, last season’s winner, Drew Lachey, confirms that the pay sucks. “It’s kind of ridiculous. In terms of TV and for the ratings that the show gets, it’s ridiculous,” he said.

Wow, and that was three years ago. That's a lot of money for most people for two or three months work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:22 pm

Oh .. I meant to post this last night but totally forgot. I asked my 24 yr old what Lil Kim was in jail for and she said she knew about some sort of crime but wouldn't snitch on them so they sent her to jail.

LOL - I guess I'll go google some more info. Now, I'm curious.

Edit:
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1505262/20050706/lil_kim.jhtml - before she went in Sept. 2005
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1535483/20060629/lil_kim.jhtml - about her release ( 10 months later )

Last edited by NancyB (admin) on March 10th 2009, 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
luvmykitties
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1980
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:24 pm

Cassandra wrote:
Cousin_Jake wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
I did find this:

Quote :
Dancing with the Stars 3

Ostrosky was offered “a base of $125,000 for the first two weeks of the show,” plus “about $20,000 each week after, until they are voted off,” according to the New York Post. There’s a bonus of $50,000 “f the show is stretched to nine weeks — for an extra recap show.” Thus, that’s a maximum of “around $245,000 for eight weeks of work, according to the contract.”

up to $245,000 for 8 or 9 weeks work is considered sucky and ridiculous? Shocked

Yeah, I guess for an actively working A-list celebrity.
But how much do D-list, Z-list, and non-actively working people typically earn in 8 weeks?

btw - I had no idea they even made that much money on the show. I thought it was done pretty much for the love of dancing and getting in shape. (and maybe for some - getting your face out there more for future opportunities)
Back to top Go down
Cassandra
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:24 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
Cousin_Jake wrote:
Cassandra wrote:
I did find this:

Quote :
Dancing with the Stars 3

Wow, and that was three years ago. That's a lot of money for most people for two or three months work.

I agree Nancy and who knows what they offered Melissa. I hope she gets every penny. And to the neigh-sayers ... who would pass that up if you could dance and look great in those costumes?

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8856
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:29 pm

Almost 245,000.00 for nine weeks and I assume the initial 4 weeks of training; I don't consider that suck *** pay.

I mean 125,000.00 isn't bad for two weeks on the show and 4 weeks training.

Houseguest

Number of posts : 276
Registration date : 2008-06-22

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:32 pm

Steve-O/Lacey Schwimmer rehearsal photo. lol

Back to top Go down
trubeliver
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9517

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:33 pm

I was so glad to see the 'after the show' clip someone (Janelle's#1fan or Moody?) brought to us. I thought Gilles was handsome and very sexy but was turned off by what I preceived to be his arrogance. In this clip I see a warmer personality and think maybe it is just his European flair I was picking up. I think he did a good job with his dance and believe he will go far. Maybe I will hop on his bandwagon after all. LOL

I don't know how much money the rest of you make but that doesn't sound like 'bad money' to me. I can understand if you are a performer (star) in high demand you could probably make more than this dollar amount for a lot less physical work. But to the average joe and those who are not in high demand, it is not bad money, IMO. The cap listed as of 2003 for a six to eight week show is more than a lot of us make as a family annually here in 2009.
Back to top Go down
MyScott95
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3508

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:42 pm

fun to watch

Dancing With the Stars: Dance Studio-Learn The Jive!

http://video.tvguide.com/Dancing+With+the+Stars/Dance+StudioLearn+The+Jive/1859151?

plus more if you want to learn a few steps...
http://video.tvguide.com/Results.aspx?primary=Shows&show=Dancing%20with%20the%

Free clicks fund therapy for children with autism:
♥ www.bit.ly/aFundTherapy ♥
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=4&aid=107098&
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:46 pm

Lol, petite! He definitely adds personality to the show! And tru, sounds like excellent money to me, too!
Back to top Go down
bamajen
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1907

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 2:56 pm

Quote :

I LOVE the last sentence of this quote!

jfan
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3181
Registration date : 2007-11-17

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:05 pm

I guess is too much to ask that just feel like a dance competition. It is kind of a shame that all the other dancers - no matter how good - are going to be overshadowed all season so that ABC can extend its "Monday night reality show "story" from one series to another."

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:21 pm

thatgirl wrote:
Mappy wrote:
gluedtothepc wrote:

How tall is Melissa??

Melissa is 5'4" Nancy O'Dell is 5'9 1/4"
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:21 pm

jfan wrote:
I guess is too much to ask that just feel like a dance competition. It is kind of a shame that all the other dancers - no matter how good - are going to be overshadowed all season so that ABC can extend its "Monday night reality show "story" from one series to another."

ABC is a business. Obviously it is a good business decision since so many new viewers watched.
It got me to watch. I don't see the problem. Networks do that kind of stuff all the time. Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice for example.
Anyway, I never heard of that Jackass guy, I sure hope his dancing abilities aren't over-shadowed by someone who can actually dance.
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6548

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:32 pm

jfan wrote:

The same came be said for Holly Madison who was on Girls Next Door, also a reality show. She left Heff and now she's on DWTS.

IMO, when you come on DWTS its not about what you did before you got there, it's what you can do on the dance floor. Sure, most of the participants have some sort of fan base, so in the beginning they may get votes from those fans. I'm sure the gymnasts are happy that Shawn is there and will vote for her. The football fans are happy that LT is there and will vote for him. In Melissa's case, the Bachelor fans are happy for her and may vote for her. I personally was going to root for Jewel, but, oh well. All these people will bring new viewers to the show as well, so Bachelor fans are just a small percentage of that group of new viewers. In the end, usually the best dancer usually wins not because they had fans in the beginning, but because they danced their butts up and more and more people recognize their talent.
Back to top Go down
trubeliver
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9517

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:32 pm

A big part of DWTS has always been about fan base and drawing those people to watch a show they might not have otherwise. If this was not true, I think a lot of the truly bad dancers would leave a lot earlier each season.

Woz (I didn't know who he was) was not selected because he is a star or a good dancer. He does represent a segment of the viewing audience who will watch and get behind him because of their emotional attachment to him as a representative of their interest.

They usually do a pretty good job of getting people with a very varied fan base. It seems to work. Also there is a varying degree of dancing ability. Some are from backgrounds that give them a leg up (no pun intended) while others have name/face recognition only.

In most seasons it takes a while (sometimes too long) to send the worst dancers home so it can be more about the dance.

Sure there are Melissa supporters watching mainly for her but the same can be said about every other contestant there. They each have their 'people' behind them and ABC will try and capitalize on each ones draw. I really don't see her having an advantage over anybody else. The jocks and sports fans have a couple to get behind as do the good looking heart throbs and this season apparently even the prision population will have a favorite. At the end of the day (nod to you know who), the best dancers will be competing for the Mirror Ball.
Back to top Go down
Frances

Number of posts : 12115

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:34 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:

Anyway, I never heard of that Jackass guy, I sure hope his dancing abilities aren't over-shadowed by someone who can actually dance.

Last edited by Frances on March 10th 2009, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MyScott95
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3508

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:34 pm

I think she proved she could dance last night and hope that gets her far unlike some who just get the votes who can't dance and good dancers are eliminated. As long as she dances well I'm giving her a chance and ignoring the Bachelor stuff for now...

I never heard of Brook until last season but she sure could dance and deserved the win

Free clicks fund therapy for children with autism:
♥ www.bit.ly/aFundTherapy ♥

Last edited by MyScott95 on March 10th 2009, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?page=4&aid=107098&
Cassandra
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:35 pm

jfan wrote:

Or by a guy who knew how to create a computer, throw a football or looks good naked? While many on this board and elsewhere like Melissa, many more other places like others. After the hoopla, the bottom line is that the winner WILL be a good dancer. Would you have felt the same if Janelle had been on or is it just this reality show?

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6548

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   March 10th 2009, 3:36 pm

trubeliver wrote:
A big part of DWTS has always been about fan base and drawing those people to watch a show they might not have otherwise. If this was not true, I think a lot of the truly bad dancers would leave a lot earlier each season.

Woz (I didn't know who he was) was not selected because he is a star or a good dancer. He does represent a segment of the viewing audience who will watch and get behind him because of their emotional attachment to him as a representative of their interest.

They usually do a pretty good job of getting people with a very varied fan base. It seems to work. Also there is a varying degree of dancing ability. Some are from backgrounds that give them a leg up (no pun intended) while others have name/face recognition only.

In most seasons it takes a while (sometimes too long) to send the worst dancers home so it can be more about the dance.

Sure there are Melissa supporters watching mainly for her but the same can be said about every other contestant there. They each have their 'people' behind them and ABC will try and capitalize on each ones draw. I really don't see her having an advantage over anybody else. The jocks and sports fans have a couple to get behind as do the good looking heart throbs and this season apparently even the prision population will have a favorite. At the end of the day (nod to you know who), the best dancers will be competing for the Mirror Ball.

good posting What I was trying to say, but you did it so much better!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DWTS Media   

Back to top Go down

DWTS Media
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Reality Television :: Dancing With the Stars-
Jump to: