AuthorMessage
Maureen
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 16157
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 5:48 am

Has anyone watched this reality show?
I was channel surfing last night and landed on it. I never heard of it before or saw it advertised.

Oh boy, it can be a tear-jerker but it is a very heart-warming show.
Back to top Go down
charlottesweb
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5398
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 8:17 am

I've never heard of it Wilde...What network airs the show?
Just the name of the show sounds interesting.

I found this about the show...I guess it is on Fox.
Quote :

'The Secret Millionaire'

By Roger Catlin on December 3, 2008 11:57 PM | Permalink | Comments (10)

The last time Fox had a show with "millionaire" in the title, it was about a bachelor who pretended he was rich but was not. The joke was on the gold-diggers who pursued him.

So with the start of "The Secret Millionaire" tonight, where actual millionaires volunteer to live poor for a week and give some of their own money away at the end to people they meet, you're a little suspicious.

"Well, that's the secret," Fox entertainment president Kevin Reilly joked when I asked him about this last summer. " We don't actually give them the money."

Yeah, he was kidding.

Making the rich or well to do live on minimum wage or less is not exactly new to TV.

Morgan Spurlock and his wife did it on the very first episode of his series "30 Days" - spending a month where these guys took seven days and finding the truth of the permanent American underclass.

Forcing spoiled rich youth to spend time among the less fortunate in other worlds was the premise of summer's "My Super Sweet Presents: Exiled" on MTV.

So it's not exactly groundbreaking for Greg, a millionaire in California to go with his son to Imperial Beach near the Mexican border (and site for "John from Cincinnati"), rent an apartment that is shocking in that it has bugs and a punched in wall. "It's not the Taj Mahal," the landlord says, before collecting his $57.

The father and son team take a construction job to get more cash, having been given $150 for the week, and they find a good boss in a former homeless woman, who invites the two over for breakfast and advice as well.

The two run into a woman at the grocery store who is feeding the homeless too, but at her home, not a shelter. They learn of an effort to raise medical money (in a coffee can at the liquor store) for an uninsured girl with cancer).

The father son team that seemed wary from manual labor now seemed like they would die of heartbreak.

Soon enough, they got to put on their good clothes, leave the bad apartment, and give people checks from $25,000 to $50,000.

The millionaires are guided to give $100,000 (of their own money - this is the genius part), but some exceed that, such as the multi-million dollar couple from Baton Rouge who go to a still Katrina-reeling community on the coast. The two don't have to work, but they have to stay in their own FEMA-style trailer that they don't like too much (news flash: millions don't live much better). They meet people trying harder to build community more than their own homes.

So they, too, return in their finery and tell them they're actually rich (this is the Fox moment: admitting to people who trusted them that they lied. So in that way it's exactly like "Joe Millionaire."

But once the checks are given, forgiveness comes fast.

Recorded months ago (one check was dated April) before "sharing the wealth" became a campaign issue, the show could have used updates on how the money was put to use (I'm wondering if the football coach used it to rebuild the locker room, as was implied but never mentioned during the gift, or just split it among the team).

Still, it plays well in December, rather like a modern day "Christmas Carol" with contemporary Ebenezer Scrooges learning how the Bob Cratchits live in experiences only slightly longer than those ushered in the by the Ghost of Christmas Present.

You'd like to think it ends like Dickens' story as well, with the millionaires forever changed. But again, there were no updates provided.

http://blogs.courant.com/roger_catlin_tv_eye/2008/12/the-secret-millionaire.html

'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference.'

Last edited by charlottesweb on December 4th 2008, 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6548
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 8:29 am

I have this DVR'd and can't wait to see it. My friend sent me a text this morning, saying she cried 5 times within the first 40 minutes. I love a good cry, so I can't wait to watch!
Back to top Go down
Mappy

Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 9:42 am

Hate that sweeps are over but now I can catch some of the shows I usually miss. I saw half of the father/son episode last night and it's good for a tug on the heartstrings Smile
Back to top Go down
Candace
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8856
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 1:33 pm

I watched this last night, I liked the show and shed a few tears my self.

Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 6:54 pm

I watched it with my son today. A cry baby, like myself should not watch these type of shows. I cried and even my son cried! I always say that I would love to save the world, but I'm just not able to. It's nice that those who can, are being shown doing their part.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35412
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 8:11 pm

I watched last night. It was pretty good.
My daughter helped give that money away!! Everytime I checked her online banking while she was at college, there were two or three debit card payments a week to Raising Cane's chicken.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 4th 2008, 8:26 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
I watched last night. It was pretty good.
My daughter helped give that money away!! Everytime I checked her online banking while she was at college, there were two or three debit card payments a week to Raising Cane's chicken.

LMAO My daughter was the same way, but with a pizza joint in Orlando!
Back to top Go down
FRANGA
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2234
Registration date : 2008-01-28

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 12:01 pm

I watched this show and cried like a baby!It's a good concept,but I wonder if they plan on changing it up each time.Even crying gets boring ever week! big cry
Back to top Go down
Inmymind

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-05

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 2:01 pm

I enjoyed it too..I like the concept..
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16468

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 2:08 pm

Welcome Inmymind!
Don't forget to go here New posters contest and register for Nancy's contest.
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 2:15 pm

FRANGA wrote:
I watched this show and cried like a baby!It's a good concept,but I wonder if they plan on changing it up each time.Even crying gets boring ever week! big cry

I cry at the silliest things, but I think crying cleanses the soul, so I don't mind it. In a odd way, I love the way I feel after a real good cry. I know, I'm a weirdo! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sydney2

Number of posts : 16308
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 2:39 pm

Cousin_Jake wrote:
Welcome Inmymind!
Don't forget to go here New posters contest and register for Nancy's contest.

welcome Inmymind to AABB . As Cousin said above please check out the New Posters Contest.
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   December 5th 2008, 5:43 pm

hi ya Inmymind!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Secret Millionaire   

Back to top Go down