Recommended Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Fame

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 12:41 pm

This thread looks so lonely. I think we need to fill it up with our suggested reading and recommendations.

I love to read, classics, romance, mystery....you name it, I will read if, but it must capture my attention quickly.

I love Nicholas Sparks books, and I have finally read all of them.

I just recently bought the Atonement (the movie won a lot of the Golden Globes) and so far, I am struggling with it......I just feel that it isn't moving fast enough for me at the moment.

I have read an autobiography that I personally love, Katherine Hepburn's ME......and Goldie Hawn's Lotus Grows in the Mind, ain't to shabby either.

What do you like to read, and what are you reading now?
Back to top Go down
http://sendarelli.smugmug.com
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 22965

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 12:45 pm

Currently I am reading Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell.

I don't know what this says about me but I seldom read "feel good" books. I love horror, mystery, suspense (well you get the drift) books.
Back to top Go down
talk2lisat

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 12:50 pm

I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Starts off a little slow but then I couldn't put it down. study
Back to top Go down
JWChitown
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2210

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 12:51 pm

Lori wrote:
Currently I am reading Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell.

I don't know what this says about me but I seldom read "feel good" books. I love horror, mystery, suspense (well you get the drift) books.

Hey! That must say something about me too! I love Patricia Cornwell and have followed Kay Scarpetta's career. I even have her cookbook!

Woo Hoo

Kimmie

Number of posts : 37979
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 1:20 pm

Right now, since I have finished all of Mr Sparks' books I am going to read Jane Eyre. I have never read it. My mother has all the classics, leather bound, and I would like to try and read them

Frances

Number of posts : 12115

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 1:45 pm

HelloKitty wrote:
Right now, since I have finished all of Mr Sparks' books I am going to read Jane Eyre. I have never read it. My mother has all the classics, leather bound, and I would like to try and read them

Oh My Gosh, I've read Jane Eyre only about a billion times. I love it so much. I hope you enjoy it sweetie. ❤
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6548

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 15th 2008, 3:57 pm

I'm a huge Nicholas Sparks fan too. Other than his books, one that I read recently that I really enjoyed was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. When 3 people within the span of a week and a half tell you what a good book it was, you have no choice but to read it. I'm glad I did and now I hear they are going to make a movie based on it.
Back to top Go down
Colleen

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 23rd 2008, 9:13 am

I love to read mystery, suspense, horror books. I received Dean Koontz's two latest books for Christmas, but before I start those I have to finish his Brother Odd.
Back to top Go down
Dismom

Number of posts : 82

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   January 28th 2008, 7:25 am

I read Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. It's Young Adult (which means it's tame, certainly more tame than the sleeping beauty books, LOL), but very moving. I was surprised that I liked it so much!
Back to top Go down
Fame

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   February 3rd 2008, 12:28 am

Mrs C wrote:
I'm a huge Nicholas Sparks fan too. Other than his books, one that I read recently that I really enjoyed was My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. When 3 people within the span of a week and a half tell you what a good book it was, you have no choice but to read it. I'm glad I did and now I hear they are going to make a movie based on it.

Oh, I will have to get that one. Have you read The Pact, by Jodi Picoult? I literally was crying my eyes out. It was a good book, and I really did enjoy it, but I described it as gut-wrenching to my mother, as I told her about it.....I don't think that was a perfect explaination. Because, at times the book literally broke my heart.
Back to top Go down
Tracy
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2882

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 3rd 2008, 3:43 pm

I have read several books lately. I love James Patterson books, Beach Road was absolutely one of his best, I also enjoyed Mary Mary, and Honeymoon both by James Patterson.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 6th 2008, 10:23 am

Diva wrote:
I have read several books lately. I love James Patterson books, Beach Road was absolutely one of his best, I also enjoyed Mary Mary, and Honeymoon both by James Patterson.

I just purchased James Patterson's, Sundays at Tiffany's. I haven't started it yet, but I do look forward to it.

Reccomend: Sugar Daddy and Blue eyed Devil both by Lisa Kleypas. Good reading.
Back to top Go down
Candace
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8856
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 8th 2008, 8:57 pm

Fame wrote:
Diva wrote:

I just purchased James Patterson's, Sundays at Tiffany's. I haven't started it yet, but I do look forward to it.

Recommend: Sugar Daddy and Blue eyed Devil both by Lisa Kleypas. Good reading.

I purchased Sundays at Tiffany's tonight, I haven't started it yet but love James Patterson books.
One of my favorites was Honeymoon, couldn't put it down once I started.
Back to top Go down
Candace
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 8th 2008, 9:16 pm

I also purchased Bulls Island by Dorothea Benton Frank
She is a local author from South Carolina, so I thought I would try her newest book. ( Stories seem to be based on the coast of S. Carolina)

The Rescue by Nicholas Sparks

Paula Deen A Memoir, It ain't all about the cookin'. This is for my Mother...She loves Paula

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 9th 2008, 12:57 pm

A Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult.

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.

Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin.

SOmething Blue by Emily Griffin.

Love the one your with, by Emily Griffin is next on my list. I purchased it yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Fame

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 9th 2008, 1:02 pm

Nicholas Sparks has a new book, The Lucky One, due out Sept. 30. I already have pre-ordered my copy from Barnes & Noble. I can't wait.

Here is the synopsis:

Is there really such thing as a lucky charm? The hero of Nicholas Sparks's new novel believes he's found one in the form of a photograph of a smiling woman he's never met, but who he comes to believe holds the key to his destiny. The chain of events that leads to him possessing the photograph and finding the woman pictured in it is the stuff of love stories only a master such as Sparks can write.

Also, I liked The Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Benton Frank. The first few chapters, I was comptemplating putting it down, because it was difficult to follow. But I am so glad that I didn't. I really liked it.
Back to top Go down
KayS

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 17th 2008, 8:29 am

I just finished Sunday at Tiffany's by James Patterson. Definitely a departure from his usual books, but awesome! A book that will put a smile on your face and make you head for the freezer for a hot fudge sundae with coffee ice cream!
Back to top Go down
JWChitown
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 20th 2008, 2:39 pm

Has anyone read Catherine Anderson's Morning Light?

It is about a clairvoyant. Definitely has the paranormal intertwined into the story line.

Just picked it up at lunch time and can't put it down.

I know several folks here are into this type of thing. Gosh, work gets in the way of so many things I like to do!!!!!

Fame

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 24th 2008, 12:07 am

JWChitown wrote:
Has anyone read Catherine Anderson's Morning Light?

It is about a clairvoyant. Definitely has the paranormal intertwined into the story line.

Just picked it up at lunch time and can't put it down.

I know several folks here are into this type of thing. Gosh, work gets in the way of so many things I like to do!!!!!

JW, so you like it? I have ogled that book several times at the PX and I always end up thinking, "I will get it next time". I am glad to have a recommendation, I will get it for sure now. I am stock piling my summer reading material. We leave for Ky in a week, and then we are off to the cabin with the entire family.....so I know that I am going to run for the safety of my room ALOT, in order to preserve my sanity, and I am taking several books with me.
Back to top Go down
JWChitown
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 24th 2008, 3:05 am

Good book! She has one more about one of the other brothers. I will looik for that too. It says she will be writing about the others in the family. I can't wait.

Of course, I kinda like the paranormal slant.

Ladymafia
Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2008-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 24th 2008, 7:57 am

For those interested in Junior Fiction...

I'm in the process of reading the Cirque Du Freak series. It's a 12 book series about a boy who becomes a half-vampire and grows up in the vampire community. It's a great series and will come out in the theaters near the end of this year.

If any of you know my friend Row, she's the one that suggest this series to me. She's also the one that talked me into reading Harry Potter.

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 28th 2008, 8:03 pm

Just finished Change of Heart by Jody Piccoult. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Every possible emotion known to man kind was brought out in this book. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't put the book down until I finished.
Back to top Go down
Mrs C
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6548

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   May 28th 2008, 9:00 pm

Lisa wrote:
Just finished Change of Heart by Jody Piccoult. OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Every possible emotion known to man kind was brought out in this book. Absolutely amazing. I couldn't put the book down until I finished.

I love Jody Piccoult! Will definitely have to put this on my list to buy. If it's anything like My Sisters Keeper, then I probably won't put it down until I finish it too.
Back to top Go down
Fame

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 4th 2008, 11:54 am

Mrs C wrote:
Lisa wrote:

I love Jody Piccoult! Will definitely have to put this on my list to buy. If it's anything like My Sisters Keeper, then I probably won't put it down until I finish it too.

I absolutely love Jodi Piccoult. Have you read Mercy? I have read all of her books except for Salem Falls and Change of Heart, but I have both of those waiting on me. I got my mother hooked on her with The Pact, and so now we buy them and trade. Nineteen Minutes was great too.
Back to top Go down
inkydinkydoo
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3983

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 4th 2008, 3:27 pm

Ladymafia wrote:
For those interested in Junior Fiction...

I'm in the process of reading the Cirque Du Freak series. It's a 12 book series about a boy who becomes a half-vampire and grows up in the vampire community. It's a great series and will come out in the theaters near the end of this year.

If any of you know my friend Row, she's the one that suggest this series to me. She's also the one that talked me into reading Harry Potter.

I loved Harry Potter, so I'm going to have to check this out.

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 4th 2008, 3:37 pm

Fame wrote:
Mrs C wrote:
Lisa wrote:

I absolutely love Jodi Piccoult. Have you read Mercy? I have read all of her books except for Salem Falls and Change of Heart, but I have both of those waiting on me. I got my mother hooked on her with The Pact, and so now we buy them and trade. Nineteen Minutes was great too.

I like Jodi Piccoult, too. The only two books I've read so far are Plain Truth (about the Amish girl that had a baby) and Perfect Match (about the little boy that was sexually abused). I'm dying to read Nineteen Minutes (a preview was included at the back of Perfect Match), and friend just loaned me Keeping Faith but I haven't started it, yet.

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 5th 2008, 12:13 am

inkydinkydoo wrote:
Fame wrote:
Mrs C wrote:
Lisa wrote:

I like Jodi Piccoult, too. The only two books I've read so far are Plain Truth (about the Amish girl that had a baby) and Perfect Match (about the little boy that was sexually abused). I'm dying to read Nineteen Minutes (a preview was included at the back of Perfect Match), and friend just loaned me Keeping Faith but I haven't started it, yet.

Inky, I am leaving for KY in a few days, and I will be getting my mom's copies of Salem Fall and Change of Heart. Shoot me a pm with your address, and as soon as I get back to Cali (July 6) I will gather all of my Jodi Piccoult's together and send them to you. I will have them all then, and those are the only two that I haven't read. And I suspect that I will have those read long before my plane hits the ground to bring me back. Let me know if you are interested.
Back to top Go down
inkydinkydoo
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 5th 2008, 3:13 am

Bless your heart, Fame! A pm is on the way.

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 7th 2008, 11:29 am

I've just finished gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson. Very good book-- it reminded me of Flannery O'Connor's writings.

Just now starting The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. I'm slow getting into it, but I've heard fabulous things about it. I'll let y'all know.
Back to top Go down
cruzlvr
Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 9th 2008, 5:18 pm

talk2lisat wrote:
I just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Starts off a little slow but then I couldn't put it down. study

I have been lurking on this board but never registered before so this is my first post!

I just wanted to say that I had started that book and couldn't get into it. Then one day when I was reading here I saw your post and decided to give it anothe try. I am so thankful your post inspired me to pick it back up. Once I got through the first 72 page I couldn't put the book down!!!

I see a few of you are into James Patterson. Have any of you read the series he has about the bird kids? I just loved that series by him. I think it is the When the Wind Blows and The Lake House.

The other series I love by him is the Women's Murder Club, starting with 1st to Die.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35498
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 9th 2008, 5:22 pm

cruzlvr wrote:
talk2lisat wrote:

I have been lurking on this board but never registered before so this is my first post!

I just wanted to say that I had started that book and couldn't get into it. Then one day when I was reading here I saw your post and decided to give it anothe try. I am so thankful your post inspired me to pick it back up. Once I got through the first 72 page I couldn't put the book down!!!

I see a few of you are into James Patterson. Have any of you read the series he has about the bird kids? I just loved that series by him. I think it is the When the Wind Blows and The Lake House.

The other series I love by him is the Women's Murder Club, starting with 1st to Die.

Welcome!
welcome
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 9th 2008, 5:22 pm

Welcome cruzlvr! welcome

Yes I have read both those series by Patterson. I love the bird kids' series, so different. I was so disappointed in the t.v. show based on the Women's Murder Club. I love those books and those women are so kick ass. The t.v. series bore little resemblance to the books.

What is Thirteenth Tale about?
Back to top Go down
cruzlvr
Houseguest
Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 9th 2008, 5:47 pm

Lori

The Thirteenth Tale is about this woman who lives above a book shop with her parents. She helps her father in the book shop and keep pretty much to herself just reading books. She is contacted by this famous author who wants her to write the author's autobiography. This is the beginning that is boring. Once she gets to the author's house and the author finally starts talking to the woman about her (the author's life) that is when the book picks up and believe me, you won't want to put it down.
I don't believe this is a true story but you should google the book and read what it is about. The author talks about her family and there are twins who have their own language and they way lived and what they went through.

I don't want to give it away but her life story that she tells this woman is really intriguing and gut wrenching at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 9th 2008, 6:00 pm

I googled it and it sounds fantastic. I will have to pick this book up. Seems as though it has caused quite a stir - websites, blogs and message boards. It must be good! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Candace
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 10th 2008, 4:09 pm

study

Last edited by icecoffee on July 14th 2008, 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
merf

Number of posts : 25

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 10th 2008, 4:21 pm

YAY cruzlvr! Welcome!

I am now on page 94 --and love it! I keep trying to sneak pages in here and there b/w taking care of the kids/house/etc. I'm not sure where I got hooked but I think it was when Vida starts her story and we meet Isabelle. I can't wait 'til the boys go to bed tonight to continue on.
Back to top Go down
cruzlvr
Houseguest
Houseguest

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 10th 2008, 5:52 pm

merf wrote:
YAY cruzlvr! Welcome!

I am now on page 94 --and love it! I keep trying to sneak pages in here and there b/w taking care of the kids/house/etc. I'm not sure where I got hooked but I think it was when Vida starts her story and we meet Isabelle. I can't wait 'til the boys go to bed tonight to continue on.

Hi Merf
Yes that is about the time I got hooked too and once there just couldn't put it down. Hope you get to enjoy the book between all your house duties. cheers
Back to top Go down
Kimmie

Number of posts : 37979

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   June 17th 2008, 6:51 am

I will have to pick up this book cruzlvr.
It sounds fantastic. Summer is normally not my reading time but I like to try and do it.
Welcome to AABB

ice coffee, you are a reading fool! that's a lot of books you are reading.
where do you find the time? By the pool, i hope

Sillytt

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   July 10th 2008, 5:48 pm

I just finished reading James Patterson's Sail, it was a quick read and I enjoyed it. I don't know how much reading I'll do after Sunday Wink
Back to top Go down
Tracy
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2882

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   July 10th 2008, 7:17 pm

I just finished John Grishams "The Innocent Man" It was really good. I ordered two books from Amazon yesterday, James Pattersons "Sail" Michaels Crichtons, "Next"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommended Reading   

Back to top Go down

Recommended Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Entertainment :: Books and Reading-
Jump to: