View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gimme
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4625
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Curious about Oklahoma   December 29th 2014, 8:46 pm

Nancy, I figured you could answer my curiosity filled self.

I have been completely obsessed lately with The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond...a Food Network show... & she has a website about her cooking, blogging, photography, ect... her food is to die for.

My curiosity is... Do a lot of people in OK homeschool? She seems to be surrounded by a lot of homeschooled kids? Does it have anything to do with the miles & miles of land bt anything & the next thing? You might not know... but its something I cant seem to get outta my head as to why there are so many in her area. I would go live there in a skinny minute... well for someone like her husband. hee hee
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Curious about Oklahoma   December 30th 2014, 8:35 am

Gimme wrote:
Nancy, I figured you could answer my curiosity filled self.

I have been completely obsessed lately with The Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond...a Food Network show... & she has a website about her cooking, blogging, photography, ect... her food is to die for.

My curiosity is... Do a lot of people in OK homeschool?  She seems to be surrounded by a lot of homeschooled kids?  Does it have anything to do with the miles & miles of land bt anything & the next thing?  You might not know... but its something I cant seem to get outta my head as to why there are so many in her area.  I would go live there in a skinny minute... well for someone like her husband. hee hee

I like her food, but can't really tolerate her show. There are some home-schooled people here as there are everywhere.
She grew up in Bartlesville, which is a well-off community. Her dad was a surgeon. They live 8 miles out of the town of Pawhuska.
Pawhuska is the federal capital of the Osage Indian Nation. It has a lot of oil money, so it isn't a wasteland.

There are no Indian reservations in Oklahoma... just a little fact that people need to know. Native Americans live here but are totally "assimilated" into communities. Most often, because of inter-marriage, you can't even tell who is NA.

She may homeschool because of distance. Most Okies who do are right-wing Christians who hate "government schools".
However, some do because they feel just the opposite, ie, that they want a more rigorous, liberal education.
And I have to add that some do because they don't want to go to school with minorities.

Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Gimme
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4625
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Curious about Oklahoma   December 30th 2014, 8:52 pm

Thank you... I only know of one other person from OK... & they are so negative on OK... I didn't even want to bother w the F'd up opinion.

Ree's frigging food show is the bomb.... however, I get why some would be like---errr cant stand this.

I got the impression she was from $omething simply b.c she went to U. So Cal. which you gotta have a lot of $$$ to attend.  

From the shows prespective... that ranch they own is huge... is that TV or reality?  It never appeared to be a waste land... however that one person I know... would make OK seem that way.  I always thought of OK... as a lot of land for ranching or oil.  

We have a lot of land here... the only difference would be pine trees & vines covering it.. so in some respects.. it could be waste land... hard to penetrate.  If that makes any sense.

Interesting to hear about the NA community there... I would have thought OK woulda been a NA original location.

PS
<<
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Curious about Oklahoma   December 31st 2014, 2:47 am

It's real.  There are huge ranches in that part of the state.

Your other friend may live in a different part of the state than I do.  Eastern Oklahoma is hills, trees, and lakes.  Your friend may hate the politics.  Lots of right-wing nut jobs/rednecks. On the other hand, lots of wonderful people too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Curious about Oklahoma   

Back to top Go down

Curious about Oklahoma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: