Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 6th 2013, 10:20 am

I look at death certificates daily, in my line of work. I just came across the death certificate of an 80 yr old male who committed suicide by shooting himself.

This is not uncommon in the elderly and I don't think the general public realizes how often this occurs, unless it affects them directly.

I think many of them do not want to be a burden on their loved ones and once they become sick, they make this decision.

I just wanted to remind everyone to check on your elderly relatives, neighbors, and friends. Make sure they aren't struggling this holiday season.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 6th 2013, 11:48 am

tens
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
carra
Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 6th 2013, 2:15 pm

Sad so sad!
Back to top Go down
KayS
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 25134
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 6th 2013, 8:08 pm

Good words Kelli!!
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 7th 2013, 7:19 am

A good reminder Kelli.
I have two elderly aunts who never married or had children and my two sisters and I keep in close contact. One aunt is 89 and continues to be a going concern. (She's in the process of organizing the library in her retirement home.) She's always been a fashionista and continues to be.
The other aunt is 98 and is in declining health so one of us visits every day. She's now bedridden and drifts in time but has clarity on some days. The other day she thought I was my Mother (aging sucks!) but yesterday when I went into her room she called me by name and we had a lovely conversation about the paintings in her room and where she purchased each one.
We've come to realize that many of the residents in her retirement home don't get visitors at all so we try to make a point of popping into the lounge and talking to the folks there before we leave. What interesting and scandalous stories some of them have to tell! The Greatest Generation indeed.
It breaks my heart to think of people feeling lonely and abandoned during the final chapter of their lives but I've also seen people making new friends and even a romance or two starting up. Our need to connect with others is a wonderful thing.
Back to top Go down
KayS

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 7th 2013, 9:20 am

I remember my girls and I visiting my Mom in the nursing home, and sometimes we would play bingo with the residents. My girls were 11 and 9 at the time. Those residents were always so glad to see my girls, EXCEPT when they beat them at bingo!!! I felt so bad for the ones who would cry and ask me why no one came to visit them. I gave lots of hugs.
Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   December 7th 2013, 2:58 pm

When my Grandma was in a nursing home, we visited her everyday for 8 months. I was surprised at the number of residents who never had visitors.

I also remember our church youth group visiting the nursing homes and singing Christmas carols. I wonder if they do that anymore.

And you're right cousin Jake, that generation has so many experiences to share. We just need to listen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays   

Back to top Go down

Don't forget the elderly during the Holidays
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: