View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PhilipAlanPhoto
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Advice Please   September 30th 2013, 11:43 pm

Okay, so during my last shoot with Sugar from Survivor - I noticed this sweet older lady in a moo moo taking photos of Sugar on the sly (over my shoulder) with this little camera. She would say to me, "Wow, she is beautiful! She works the camera so well. Do you mind if I snap a couple?" Well, I just thought she was this sweet old lady admiring her and I thought nothing of it. I told her no problem!

Well, this friend of mine contacts me and asks me if I had an assistant for that shoot. I told her no. She tells me that this person on HER facebook posted these Sugar photos as her own, as if she took them legitimately. It turns out this lady in a moo moo runs a photography business (she sucks). And put her watermark on them and put them on her business site as if she landed a shoot with Sugar from Survivor. And she put up terrible shots of Sugar (bad angles, piss poor editing, etc)

Well, I couldn't believe it. I contacted this fauxtographer and asked politely for her to take them down. And she basically said, "Hey, she's on public property. I'm not doing anything illegal." In which I replied, "Forget legalities, don't you feel like a fraud, shooting over another photographer's shoulder, and using them as if you set up the shoot?" She didn't. Loser.

Anyways, she ended up taking them down. (Sugar didn't care - she's too nice)

But yesterday, my friend alerted me to her new advertising post, which includes one of Sugar's shots. Ugh. I don't know, it just irritates me that people would do that. Am I right to feel robbed? I don't want to say anything to her again. She's an idiot.

Take a look: https://www.facebook.com/studio3photo?fref=ts

Thanks for letting me vent.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Alan-Photography/6909574238
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 12:16 am

Um what a friggin jerk! That's so messed up! Maybe tweet/facebook the link out to your "friends/followers" whatever they are called (so not social media terminology savvy) and if they see it have them comment about it being fake.....maybe she'll be embarrassed enough to take it down? I would think? UGH!!! Sorry Phil, that's so ridiculous! You have every right to be pissed!

A quote my husband wrote in a card to me during my battle with cancer (that made me bawl my eyes out)- "When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Spartan Warrior. I never would have guessed my wife would become one before me."
Back to top Go down
PhilipAlanPhoto
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 12:22 am

Two people already commented on it. I'm not asking you to do that, really. But I won't stop you. Smile

Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1984

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 12:25 am

haha- If I had a Facebook I totally would! I should share it with my friends and have them go crazy about it!

A quote my husband wrote in a card to me during my battle with cancer (that made me bawl my eyes out)- "When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Spartan Warrior. I never would have guessed my wife would become one before me."
Back to top Go down
PhilipAlanPhoto
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 12:27 am

marinewife08 wrote:
haha- If I had a Facebook I totally would! I should share it with my friends and have them go crazy about it!
I did that the first time. It's been almost a year since that shoot. That's why she took them down. She blocked me and my family/friends. This time, I brought it here and Twitter. Hopefully she'll get the message. Thanks, MW.
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 6:05 am

What a POS!!! Yes I would do exactly what you did Phil. Wonder if she actually took any of those pictures that are on her flyer. Makes me mad when someone uses another photographers work...or those that "think" they are photographers.

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 7:23 am

Of course you're right to feel robbed ... that was your shoot ... you weren't photobombed, you were photographer bombed.
I think you handled it appropriately.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 8:13 am

Id be pissed. Too bad sugar isn't upset. She would definitely be able to get this woman to stop using her image.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9249

PostSubject: Re: Advice Please   October 1st 2013, 8:19 am

you handled it right, also she'll get hers, those type of people always do
Back to top Go down
catty