View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
boots
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1925
Registration date : 2009-06-05

PostSubject: Fired   June 25th 2013, 12:52 pm

I was fired from my job of 3 years yesterday.

They gave some BS reasons so as to fire me instead of lay me off, and here I am, really needing your prayers.

They said it was because of interneting/Facebook but the warning I got 2 weeks ago turned into a firing despite all my efforts and hard work since. I believe the real reason is there has not been enough work to go around, and my newest coworker had just got back from her European honeymoon, after marrying one of the owners' sons (who just graduated college and doesn't have a job). She had no work (I was doing it, and a good job, so coworkers approached me, not her) and has been twiddling her thumbs at the front desk, probably spending her says on Facebook and Pintrest, etc. I was, after 3 years there and 5 years experience in the industry, making more money than her (I would hope so - she's only 22). Blood/marriage trumps that, apparently. 

I co-own a retail business that just hit its 1 week anniversary last week. We severely under monetized when we started, it's not profitable yet, and we have been struggling financially for the last 9 months as it is. So, I am effectively the sole breadwinner in our situation. To top it off, we just adopted a cat last week. And despite the incessant pestering from my old coworkers about when I was going to get married, the reason has been lack of money to even afford wedding bands. I know how most of you view marriage (especially in the Jeff/Jordan thread), so I wanted to clarify. Also both of our families live in other states, and with the store, we can't move.

So yeah, worst situation of my life (I know, I'm only 27 but still). Please pray for me to find a good paying job.
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 12:59 pm

Awww boots ... what a tough break.
Stay strong girl and keep moving forward!
group hug
Back to top Go down
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 6:06 pm

I am sorry. File for unemployment...the judges are usually qiute sympathetic towards the fired employee. If they issued you a warning and you abided by the rules afterward I think you have a good shot at receiving unemployment.
Back to top Go down
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 6:11 pm

Boots, so sorry to read this, and I'll pray that you find an even better job very quickly!

Number of posts : 14869
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 6:37 pm

boots Hug wrap up in arms so sorry.  As Lori said above, file for unemployment, it will help you some, and I'll be sending you some positive vibes and hope you find an even better job.

Also, under those circumstances I'd be really pissed at my former employer.

Number of posts : 17318
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 6:38 pm

That sucks boots, sorry to hear this. Definitely get that unemployment and they can even help you find something, even update your resume. It will work out, I truly believe when one door closes, another opens. Good luck, keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 8:30 pm

So sorry to hear this...definitely unemployment, while it won't solve everything it will help some for a while! :)You'll find something even better!

All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 25th 2013, 9:38 pm

Thanks for the support folks. I immediately got on the line with a close friend with a lot of connections (she works in PR) and through one of her friends, whose husband I coincidentally am acquainted with, her employer is looking to hire people. Starting salary would be 95% of my previous annual earnings, full time M-F work, with top notch benefits, and training towards advancement (and studying - involving a series 6 brokerage license) to move from Customer Service to Sales Rep, with very little turnover and a casual work environment. So I at least am looking at most probably getting an interview there, and hopefully soon. I'm going to call this friend tomorrow morning and get some coaching before submitting my revised resume directly to the HR rep with whom she works closely... Praying this is the right fit for me. It's in a totally different field from engineering - in mutual funds, but I have a feeling this could be a great career change.

It's only been a day and I'm still so bitter, but I know I can't come off as bitter in an interview, so I'm nervous about acing that. I've also updated my Linked In, uploaded a new resume to Monster, and contacted a former coworker who left our previous employer a year ago, who is local and has a lot of connections.

I'm mainly anxious about finding something that pays enough (really can't afford to settle), and also the fact that we only have one car and when I was fired they took my public transit pass away.
Back to top Go down
boots
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 26th 2013, 2:12 pm

Resume looking amazing, getting some references/letters of recommendation from ex-coworkers, now on to my first cover letter in 3 years.

I had posted my resume (that I since revised even better) last night and got a call about a job this morning. Probably not a good fit but hey!
Back to top Go down
catty

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 26th 2013, 2:17 pm

Good luck boots!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Fired   June 26th 2013, 5:42 pm

Prayers for you, boots. Something better will come around...stay positive!
Back to top Go down
boots
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Fired   July 15th 2013, 5:02 pm

Still searching for work, but I've been getting great responses so far. Every temp to hire opportunity is cancelled because I keep having direct-hire interviews lined up, interfering. I have a very promising job interview lined up for Wednesday morning.

Word through the grapevine is my ex-boss (who fired me) put in her resignation about a week after firing me. Weird things are happening. Another ex-coworker got chewed out big time by one of the owners for being his usual friendly/chatty self to coworkers. So I'm glad to be out but money is tight.

I've been avoiding feed updates and watching only the episodes and checking brief synopses and the occasional racist youtube video. Wow this season has heated up. Rooting for Helen's team. :)But the free season pass for the feeds finally arrived in my email inbox today. Up and running!
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Fired   July 15th 2013, 5:17 pm

Good luck boots!
Keep moving forward ... I'm sure you'll succeed soon.
Back to top Go down
boots
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Fired   July 27th 2013, 5:52 pm

Starting a temp job on Monday that pays pretty well ($18/hr) and will continue applying & interviewing for the long term.
Back to top Go down
catty

PostSubject: Re: Fired   July 27th 2013, 5:57 pm

Yay!! I'm happy for you. I hope you find something permanent and long term.

Good luck. Sending you positive vibes.

PostSubject: Re: Fired   

Back to top Go down

Fired
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: