all about big brother ~ aabb

Discuss reality television. Big Brother, Survivor, Housewives, etc

HomePortalCalendarFAQLog inRegister

Share | 

How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DoctorJane
Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 508
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 11th 2012, 5:33 pm

On my walk home last Thursday night, I found a diamond engagement ring in the gutter. I thought it would be best to pick it up before it washed away into the drain or run over by a car. It's a little more than 1/3 carat on a 14k white gold band. It's a real diamond, not the best clarity but not too bad. The color looks good and the cut is fine, so it's a legit piece of jewelry.
I put a found ad on my local craigslist as soon as I got home that night and have re-posted since, but have not heard anything back. I'm trying to think of other resources where I can put it out there that I found this ring and am looking for the owner. The local paper charges for found ads and I just can't afford the extra expense right now.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get it back? Should I be putting flyers out in the neighborhood or what? Any other websites? If I had lost my engagement ring somewhere in the world, craigslist would be the first place I would check so I don't know what the other person is doing.

scratch

Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 11th 2012, 5:41 pm

You could call your local Police Department, they may have some ideas...or flyers in grocery stores, etc., may also work. Hopefully it is someone in the immediate area. I bet someone is just sick about losing their ring. On the other hand, maybe she broke the engagement and flung it at her fiance and he just left it in the gutter, lol.
Back to top Go down
DoctorJane
Head of Household
Head of Household

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 11th 2012, 5:45 pm

My sister and I were saying something just that. She got pissed and threw her ring out her window as she sped down the street. dance

Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 11th 2012, 6:47 pm

Just want to say that I think it is really nice of you to be doing this. There are so many people who would have not been so determined to find the owner and dare I say many who would have kept/pawned the ring. Way to go. You are a wonderful person. I am surprised the paper does charge for found items. I know in the past our local paper did not. I think local law enforcement is a great idea or perhaps, depending on the size of your city, the paper/news would do a story about it, you know good citizen wants to help locate the owner.

All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 12th 2012, 2:33 pm

We have a Facebook page associated with our local paper. If you have one where you live that might be a good way to get the word out without paying for it.

You're an honest, good person to do this. My husband lost his college ring once. A man who uses a metal detector found it, tracked us down through the initials/year of graduation/college on the ring. He wanted us to pay him $500.00 to get it back, which we refused to do so he kept it. We ordered a new ring for half that amount. I still can't believe that man! We would have given him a reward, but that's ridiculous!

Head of Household
Head of Household

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 14th 2012, 1:25 am

That is baaaaaad karma. Bah, some people are just buttholes. I made the huge mistake of telling my dad that I've been sitting on this ring for a week and he's pushing me to sell it, thinking I'll buy him paint because he suddenly just has to repaint his living room. That old man... cussing

So anyway, I found out that our paper does run found ads for free. Guess I missed that the first time I looked. I'll give that a try even though I'm not comfortable putting my phone number on it, but whatever. Also going to put up some fliers around the area I found it. All I can do is hope she'll be able to see them.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I can always count on AABB, even when I haven't been around much these days.

duts rule

Number of posts : 17318

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 14th 2012, 9:44 am

DoctorJane wrote:
That is baaaaaad karma. Bah, some people are just buttholes. I made the huge mistake of telling my dad that I've been sitting on this ring for a week and he's pushing me to sell it, thinking I'll buy him paint because he suddenly just has to repaint his living room. That old man... cussing

So anyway, I found out that our paper does run found ads for free. Guess I missed that the first time I looked. I'll give that a try even though I'm not comfortable putting my phone number on it, but whatever. Also going to put up some fliers around the area I found it. All I can do is hope she'll be able to see them.

Thanks for the tips, guys. I can always count on AABB, even when I haven't been around much these days.

duts rule

Don't!! Create an email addy at gmail or yahoo. After this, I think you can say that you gave it your best, nothing else you can do.
Back to top Go down
Lori

Number of posts : 22965

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 14th 2012, 9:48 am

Yes I agree with Jack, don't give out your phone number.

Back to top Go down
Shug
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   February 14th 2012, 1:48 pm

I agree too! Don't give out your phone number and if you hear from someone make sure they can identify the ring exactly as it looks. You might have all kinds of weirdos trying to claim it.

PostSubject: Re: How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??   

Back to top Go down

How Do I Get a Lost Ring Back to it's Owner??
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: