View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 8:54 am

Help, please! My husband is having trouble figuring out how to handle Christmas gift-giving at work. He was promoted and is a manager of many people. This week several of his employees have given him gifts, some relatively expensive ($70 - $80 range). How does he reciprocate? We have been so crazy busy with our move that neither one of us saw this coming, nor planned for it. I don't think he can just reciprocate in kind because it could be perceived as favoritism, but we can't afford to spend $70+ for more than 100 people each!! Not to mention that time is almost out for doing anything...YIKES!

Anyone have any thoughts on how this is usually handled? Should he just buy a nice gift for his assistant (who is one of the ones who gave him an expensive gift) and write sincere thank yous for anything else he receives? The problem with trying to do something for every single employee is that for the gift to seem somewhat nice (not cheap), it is still cost-prohibitive for us at this time.

Last edited by gluedtothepc on December 20th 2011, 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 9:09 am

I think a thank you is fine.
The only other way I can think of, and given the number of gifts involved is something homemade. It shows thought but doesn't cost as much. Like baked goods or candy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 9:11 am

I have another idea.... put on a punch and cookie buffet somewhere at work...
and invite them all and say this is your present... give a nice speech....
maybe even say something about the difficulty in reciprocating.
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 9:29 am

I like that idea - I had thought of a lunch meal but again found the cost off-putting, because, given our current situation, I wouldn't be able to cook everything and we would have to cater it (still expensive). A dessert buffet or breakfast buffet would work better with our budget (may have to draft the kids into helping with this, since time is so short now). Thanks, Nancy!

Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 25134
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 10:14 am

Those are sure some generous employees!!
Back to top Go down
Lori

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 10:49 am

The buffet is an excellent idea.

I agree with Kay, very thoughtful employees who work for your hubby!!
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 10:58 am

This is always a tough situation. Honestly, I don't think that ALL the staff would expect to get gifts from him - but I can see getting his assistant something.

I remember years ago when I worked in a place with more employees, we always got something for the boss for X-Mas, but he didnt' get stuff for us.

I think it is nice to acknowledge the other staff though - so a bit of a buffet, or something that is cost-efficient that all can share, so he can say a heartfelt thank-you to his staff, is always nice. Most staff just want to be acknowledge and appreciated for their work.

Good luck with this.
Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 12:00 pm

You could just do donuts, coffee, fruit, bagels, etc for a breakfast. Our bosses do that a few times a year and it's really nice.
Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1897
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 12:05 pm

We used to get our bosses a gift and in return, they usually do the breakfast or they would make something homemade, like a stocking, fill it with candy, and give one to everyone. Another idea, maybe for next year since you're running out of time, is a personalized Christmas ornament.
Back to top Go down
its_glinda_now
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 3491
Registration date : 2009-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 6:05 pm

KelliM wrote:
We used to get our bosses a gift and in return, they usually do the breakfast or they would make something homemade, like a stocking, fill it with candy, and give one to everyone. Another idea, maybe for next year since you're running out of time, is a personalized Christmas ornament.

This is what my mom did for her staff this year, it seemed to be a hit!
Back to top Go down
Alejules
Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 820
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 6:54 pm

I can understand the predicament your husband is in. I supervise (either directly or indirectly) over 25 people and struggle with the gift giving every year. I have hosted a luncheon at the office and had it catered in from a local restaurant. As you mentioned that is not an inexpensive idea and does add up. I have also purchased small gifts (lottery tickets, candy, etc.) for everyone but that seems somewhat impersonal and doesn't go very far. I have also chipped in with the other attorneys in the office to buy a large gift for each of our support staff and then I have purchased a gift for each attorney. I do make sure my administrative assistant gets something special no matter what option I use.

Over the years I have started randomly bringing in thank you gifts for different groups of employees, for example one month all the paralegals might get a gift, this lets the staff know I appreciate them all year long. It also spreads out the expense.

Whatever your husband does I am sure it will work out fine.

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 7:36 pm

I've been working with a group for years. We used to do the gift giving thing, bosses, workers, etc. Several years ago we decided to spend the money on our families and not stress over work presents. Works for us. We do a luncheon and that's fun.
Back to top Go down
ebowers
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 20th 2011, 8:57 pm

Kay, that's what we do as well...our principal has a lunch catered in for the staff before our break. Our wonderful PTA has a lovely breakfast the week before the luncheon. We used to pick names and give gifts but for the last 10 years now we use the money to put toward a family in need.
My husband works for a very small company and his boss had the employees over to his house last Tuesday for a luncheon. They closed the office for the rest of the afternoon!
Back to top Go down
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 21st 2011, 8:51 am

Thanks everybody, for your ideas and input! He is doing a buffett of sorts tomorrow morning with breakfast items (kolaches, donuts, breakfast casserole) and a few baked items (cookies, bars). I really appreciate your coming through in my time of 'need' lol! I was kinda panicking about trying to help him with this yesterday, if you couldn't tell! Very Happy

Number of posts : 16469

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 21st 2011, 8:52 am

That sounds perfect Glued.
Back to top Go down
KayS

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   December 21st 2011, 9:09 am

You can't go wrong with food! I am eating a homemade oatmeal raisin cookie right now made by a coworker.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice needed STAT!!   

Back to top Go down

Advice needed STAT!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: