So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 1:21 pm

Are you cooking, traveling...eating out at the Chinese restaurant?

I'm doing a mini-Thanksgiving tonight since my daughter is in from Oregon. My Mom and her husband are coming over.
Then we are going to my husband's brother's house on Thus. My mom is going to my sister's house.
Why do it like this? LOL - so I can have leftovers!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 1:39 pm

That's a good idea Nancy.

Since the Packers play at 11:30, I will be planning dinner sometime after 3:00. As of now my dad, brother and sil will be over. Not sure which of my kids' friends will make an appearance, but there's sure to be one or two.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9249
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 3:22 pm

me, son, and hubby are going to my parents, very low key this year as sis and brother are off to their in-laws...kind of a little bummed as I usually do most of the holidays at my house for my family and hubbys family, but since we have the new puppy and he is getting situated with guests at the house, and just the lay of the land, we figured best to not have the holidays this year.
Back to top Go down
Frances

Number of posts : 12116

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 3:54 pm

Nancy...YaY to leftovers.

Lori...go Packers!

(((Bergen)))...Don't be bummed! Create a new tradition with the smaller group. I can't think of anything at the moment but maybe something will come to me later.
Back to top Go down
jami
Head of Household
Head of Household

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2009-10-22

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 6:35 pm

Members of my family and my husband's family are coming over for dinner on Thursday, so I will be cooking for 15 people! I am really nervous about this because I am not a good cook and I told everyone I would prepare everything doh I hope the turkey is completely done and the side dishes don't make anyone sick!
Back to top Go down
ebowers
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 6:42 pm

Wow, jami, you are very ambitious! Good luck with everything! We are going to a friend's house. Our daughter will be home from college and her friend from Wales will be visiting. Should be a lovely time, it's always been before! Thanksgiving is my favorite time of the year. I love everything thing about it! Christmas is way too commercialized for me these days.
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 6:47 pm

jami, when I was cooking my first holiday dinner for a big crowd I was nervous about getting everything cooked properly and about timing all the various dishes correctly.
My Mom suggested I cook the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy the day before. It did help me because I sliced the turkey onto an oven proof platter covered in foil, put the stuffing and mashed potatoes into covered casserole dishes and the gravy into a pyrex bowl and then I just heated them up on the day.
That just left me with a couple of side dishes and some hor d'oeuvres to do on the actual day.
Back to top Go down
jami
Head of Household
Head of Household

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 6:54 pm

Cousin_Jake wrote:
jami, when I was cooking my first holiday dinner for a big crowd I was nervous about getting everything cooked properly and about timing all the various dishes correctly.
My Mom suggested I cook the turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy the day before. It did help me because I sliced the turkey onto an oven proof platter covered in foil, put the stuffing and mashed potatoes into covered casserole dishes and the gravy into a pyrex bowl and then I just heated them up on the day.
That just left me with a couple of side dishes and some hor d'oeuvres to do on the actual day.

Thank you...I'm going to do as much as possible the day before. I have to make some things like the turkey the day of Thanksgiving because my husband says it's not Thanksgiving without the bird in the oven. The night before, I'm gonna make the pies, cheesecake, rolls, deviled eggs, and prepare as much as possible of everything else. Maybe if the food sucks, they will invite me to their house next year lol!
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 7:02 pm

Having dinner with my dad, step mom grands along with my best friend (my aunt), my family and some very special guest.....a few of the Michigan Wolverine football players....I can't wait!!

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9249
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 7:35 pm

Frances wrote:
Nancy...YaY to leftovers.

Lori...go Packers!

(((Bergen)))...Don't be bummed! Create a new tradition with the smaller group. I can't think of anything at the moment but maybe something will come to me later.

thanks frances! i think i am bummed because like nancy i love having leftovers...but also to be honest it always became more an open house and it solved alot of which family memebers are going where and who will be together and wont be...one year me, sis and bro were off to thanksgiving at the in-laws and my parents were left to themselves and i was devastated for them being alone on thanksgiving, the next day i prepared a whole thanksgiving dinner for my family so they would have that "it's the holidays and the family is together" feeling that i wanted them to have...i also am kind happy for the low key part this year, it will be nice having them to myself for a bit, as i am sure dessert will turn into the rest of the family stopping by.

oh and of course i will be stopping by AABB!!!
Back to top Go down
ebowers
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 7:36 pm

lovin wrote:
Having dinner with my dad, step mom grands along with my best friend (my aunt), my family and some very special guest.....a few of the Michigan Wolverine football players....I can't wait!!

Well, that's pretty exciting, for sure. Good luck to them in their big game against the OSU Buckeyes! What a rivalry that is!
Back to top Go down
marylou2
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1344

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 7:56 pm

I'll be cooking for about 30 people this year. I cook every year, but usually there are relatives that go out of town. Last year we only had 13. This year it looks like everyone will be in town at once. I love having a big crowd at Thanksgiving.
Back to top Go down
Lori

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 8:15 pm

Wow marylou...that's a lot!!!

jami - everything will turn out wonderful!!
Back to top Go down
jami
Head of Household
Head of Household

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 8:46 pm

marylou2 wrote:
I'll be cooking for about 30 people this year. I cook every year, but usually there are relatives that go out of town. Last year we only had 13. This year it looks like everyone will be in town at once. I love having a big crowd at Thanksgiving.

30 people!!! I would have a panic attack....
Back to top Go down
PhilipAlanPhoto
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 9:00 pm

Eating and shitting.
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Alan-Photography/6909574238
KayS

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 9:02 pm

Thanks for helping with that visual Phil. Will be easier to stay on my diet!! lol!
Back to top Go down
PhilipAlanPhoto
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1957
Registration date : 2010-08-24

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 9:13 pm

KayS wrote:
Thanks for helping with that visual Phil. Will be easier to stay on my diet!! lol!

haha! You're welcome!

For the serious folk:

The usual. Family, friends, food, movies, football, games, food, etc. Smile

Last edited by PhilipAlanPhoto on November 21st 2011, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Philip-Alan-Photography/6909574238
Frances

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 21st 2011, 9:14 pm

Jami and Marylou...I am not worthy! I've never cooked for that many people and would be terrified. I bet you both have a wonderful day.

Amy...How did you manage that! Football players? Those are going to be some big boys with real appetites. lol! Have fun, kiddo!

Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 5:56 am

ebowers wrote:
lovin wrote:

Well, that's pretty exciting, for sure. Good luck to them in their big game against the OSU Buckeyes! What a rivalry that is!

Thanks ebowers, I'm pretty excited to be going to this game to be honest. Just hoping my dad and my husband keep their pie holes shut and not end up in jail!! LOL
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 6:25 am

lovin wrote:
ebowers wrote:
lovin wrote:

Thanks ebowers, I'm pretty excited to be going to this game to be honest. Just hoping my dad and my husband keep their pie holes shut and not end up in jail!! LOL

LMAO
Back to top Go down
Shug
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 12:47 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
Are you cooking, traveling...eating out at the Chinese restaurant?

I'm doing a mini-Thanksgiving tonight since my daughter is in from Oregon. My Mom and her husband are coming over.
Then we are going to my husband's brother's house on Thus. My mom is going to my sister's house.
Why do it like this? LOL - so I can have leftovers!!

lol!

Nancy, the only reason I like cooking for Thanksgiving is the leftovers! They're my favorite part of the holidays.

I'm cooking for my husband and daughter and all the 'strays" who come by. We always have college students and university employees who don't or can't go home. I never know how many or who will show up but we invite anyone who isn't going home to come eat with us. It's fun not knowing who will be here until time to eat and we always have a great crowd and a good time together. My family is scattered and we rarely can all get together. Having this "extended family" has been a blessing to us.

Nancy, I'm hoping to freeze some of the leftover turkey for our New Year's Eve party. I always make what we call Sopa, which is a wonderful casserole make with turkey, tortillas, cheese, and other goodies. It's delicious and has become a tradition for our New Year's Eve party each year.

Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 1:12 pm

Sounds like we need that in the recipe section Shug!
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 2:13 pm

That's interesting Shug. I am making green chili/turkey enchiladas
Back to top Go down
mimTN
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5737
Registration date : 2009-08-22

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 2:51 pm

I haven't decided. My kids and I agreed yrs ago when they married to be flexable with our holidays. It was best decision ever! They get holidays out of the way with others and places grands need to be and then a week or 2 after we do ours.
Christian will be home for Christmas but the Navy is not giving us exact dates so my daughter gave all kids to exes for whole Thanksgivng week end. In exchange they will all work around Christmas dates for Christian. We will all be together, daughter, son, spouses, and 7 grands plus Christians GF.
We had our Thanksgiving past Sat, I am finishing up leftovers daughter sent me home with today. Well cept for hambone and on way to store to get white beans. My daughter requested big pot of my whitebeans seasoned with the hambone. Other than that I won't be bothering them, she and my son in law have 4 days alone, break from 3 teenagers and Aubrie.
Me , I don't know, I often get me Bar-B-Q six pack, trashy book and a movie for the holidays. I am alone for most actual holidays, but I love it this way. I get my kids and grands after all stress is over and no one has to hurry to be anywhere.
lol, I have to watch telling people that. I barely convinced a neighbor last year that I wanted to be home, that I picked this system. She was determined to include me in hers.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 5:39 pm

Sounds like a good system mim ... things often get a bit complicated organizationally when the kids grow up and get married.
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 6:56 pm

Frances wrote:
Jami and Marylou...I am not worthy! I've never cooked for that many people and would be terrified. I bet you both have a wonderful day.

Amy...How did you manage that! Football players? Those are going to be some big boys with real appetites. lol! Have fun, kiddo!

Frannie, My dad and stepmom made "friends" a few summers ago with one of the players...well I can't say friend anymore, he calls them ma and dad and me sis!! Such a sweet young man! There were supposed to be more players coming now its only the 2 guys. Nice nice young men! But yeah they like to eat LOL!
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 6:57 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
lovin wrote:
ebowers wrote:
lovin wrote:

LMAO

It is funny but they both have big damn mouths LOL!
Back to top Go down
giggles
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4245
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 22nd 2011, 9:03 pm

lovin wrote:
NancyB (admin) wrote:
lovin wrote:
ebowers wrote:
lovin wrote:

LMAO

It is funny but they both have big damn mouths LOL!

you could always have hot dogs on hand and when they start to run their mouth,shove a dog in it! lol!
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 1:01 pm

jami wrote:
Cousin_Jake wrote:

Thank you...I'm going to do as much as possible the day before. I have to make some things like the turkey the day of Thanksgiving because my husband says it's not Thanksgiving without the bird in the oven. The night before, I'm gonna make the pies, cheesecake, rolls, deviled eggs, and prepare as much as possible of everything else. Maybe if the food sucks, they will invite me to their house next year lol!

I always cook a big dinner for a lot of people at Xmas, so I have have learned a few things over the years.

No offense to those that do it, but I never cook anything the day before. It's just not the same and doesn't have the same fresh taste (IMHO). The meat (whether it is turkey, or prime rib) always is cooked that day, as well as the hot side dishes. I can see preparing things the day before, but just knowing what goes in the oven and what is cooked where will help with getting it all done and hot at the same time. I often take my meat out just as it is cooked, and turn up the oven to finish/crisp any veggies etc that need it, then put the meat back in for 1/2 hour to give it that final "crisping" or whatever.

I do any advance prep that morning. i.e. if I am making a broccoli casserole, I pre-steam the brocolli and have the casserole all ready and then I just have to pop it in the oven 30 mins before eating. Also, having all the side-dishes and veggies ready (whether in a pot of water, in their cooking dish, etc) will save time. Its just a matter of knowing how long they take to cook and putting them on at the right time. Then you are not in the kitchen the whole time you have guests, just when you have to go turn something on.

good luck.
Back to top Go down
Frances

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 3:26 pm

lovin wrote:
Frances wrote:

Frannie, My dad and stepmom made "friends" a few summers ago with one of the players...well I can't say friend anymore, he calls them ma and dad and me sis!! Such a sweet young man! There were supposed to be more players coming now its only the 2 guys. Nice nice young men! But yeah they like to eat LOL!

I love that he calls you "Sis"! That's really nice. Get some good pictures and maybe you can share. dance

Back to top Go down
KayS

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 4:45 pm

Jen is coming over and we are going to eat out. Then she has to go by her Dad's. Lisa and Ben are going to Rhode Island to spend Thanksgiving with his grandma and aunts and uncles. They are driving and it is taking FOREVER. All of America is on the move I guess. BUT they are coming here for Christmas!!!! Yippee!!!!
Back to top Go down
Shug
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 6:11 pm

Cousin_Jake wrote:
Sounds like we need that in the recipe section Shug!

I'll do that Cousin. That is if I can figure out the amounts of everything. I do it by sight and smell but I'll get it in the recipe section. It's really a delicious and easy casserole. It's spicy after eating so much turkey and dressing.

Nancy, I'd love to have your recipe for green chili turkey enchiladas too!
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 6:52 pm

Thanks Shug ... I'm always looking for something different to do with leftovers and your casserole sound delicious.
Back to top Go down
carra
Houseguest
Houseguest

Number of posts : 391
Registration date : 2008-11-25

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 6:58 pm

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope every one has a great day.

have a nice day
Back to top Go down
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 8:26 pm

Frances wrote:
lovin wrote:
Frances wrote:

I love that he calls you "Sis"! That's really nice. Get some good pictures and maybe you can share. dance

I certainly will try to remember to take some pics...last time we were with them I totally forgot to take any pics with my "bro" doh But I did get a good one with Jordan Kovacs so I was pretty excited about that LOL!
Back to top Go down
giggles
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4245
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 8:31 pm

Nothing too big or fancy here. I live with family so I don't have to go anywhere. Mom cooks the turkey cuz you for sure don't want me to do it, lol. Then we cook green bean casserole, mashed potatoes,deviled eggs,croissants. Must have cranberry sauce!! My sister is cooking one of the desserts and mom will make an apple pie from scratch. We always have leftover turkey and mashed potatoes.I have 2 nieces and a nephew so this will be one of my nieces first thanksgiving. Hopefully one year I will get to my dads in Tulsa,OK and have thanksgving with dad's side of the family like I did when I was a little girl. Taking time off and traveling is so hard sometimes,makes me wish I was still a child sometimes because being grown up and away from family is hard sometimes.
Back to top Go down
spclone39

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2008-07-04

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 8:57 pm

Happy Thanksgiving!!! I am cooking and buying 2 things at Ryan's...And the family is all here...Everyone have a blessed Thanksgiving...

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8088

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 9:21 pm

Heading to my Brother's on the Island with my parents, other brother SIL & niece. Rob cooks the turkey and my SIL helps with everything else. She's been a vegetarian her whole life so she has NO idea about the turkey...LOL! They make a good team. It's always very nice. She has her parents/step parents and sister & brother in law over too so it makes quite a group! It will be nice to see my nephew & niece. I don't get to see them as much as my other niece.
Back to top Go down
Lori

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 23rd 2011, 10:11 pm

I spent the better part of the day prepping food and cooking. I'm exhausted. However, I realized something tonight...my two boys were in the kitchen talking to me and a bunch of their friends dropped by. I just kept cooking and chatting with all of them and before I knew it, I had finished. I never realized before how lonely I was when I cooked, lol.
Back to top Go down
Frances

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   November 24th 2011, 12:24 am

I know I'm very sentimental and emotional...this thread is so very heartwarming. Thank you all for posting, it's like a big huge cyber hug.

Shutting up now. LOL.

group hug

ETA: And, to all the lurkers out there, I love you all as well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?   

Back to top Go down

So what are you doing for Thanksgiving?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: