View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 9249
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:07 pm

Can dogs have peanut butter? Or i mean a puppy?

I ask because my puppy is 6 months old, we bought one of those Kong toys for him that you put the bone in it and they chew at it to get the bone out, and i noticed on the package it also mentioned putting peanut butter in it also. This is my first pet, and i am terrified of giving it anything besides dog food and bones.
Back to top Go down
scottep_32
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8811
Registration date : 2010-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:13 pm

Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35516
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:17 pm

Thanks for the links Scott. I think it's like a lot of things... just a little is OK.

I have heard that both chocolate and grapes are toxic to dogs.... brb.. I'll go look

ETA: info I found

Chocolate is bad for dogs - in fact, veterinarians consider it poison. Chocolate contains theobromine, a central nervous system stimulant that may cause seizures, excessive urination (leading to dehydration), and heart damage.

The half-life of theobromine is approximately 17.5 hours. If your dogs ate the cookie several weeks ago, they have entirely eliminated the toxin from their bodies by now and should be fine. Be careful not to let them have more, though. Dogs can develop a craving for chocolate, just like humans.

According to Talk to the Vet, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains. Milk chocolate is less toxic than dark chocolate, which is less toxic than baker's chocolate.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_chocolate_dangerous_for_dogs_to_eat#ixzz1bjjBFDm4
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:22 pm

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

The above is information about grapes and raisins. Not good for them, but won't kill them
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:36 pm

thank you! like i said i am terrified...like a first child

also any thoughts on obedience classes? yay or nay? we are kind of having a rough time with him jumping on the furniture and especially jumping on company that comes over
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 4:44 pm

bergen wrote:

also any thoughts on obedience classes? yay or nay? we are kind of having a rough time with him jumping on the furniture and especially jumping on company that comes over

I vote for them! My daughter took her dog to classes. It helped a lot...except jumping on strangers.. lol... she does settle down if you give her a pet and a little attention though... the dog I mean, not my daughter.
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

Number of posts : 16469
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 5:42 pm

bergen wrote:

Welcome to dog ownership bergen! They bring much joy but I understand your anxiety. I think being calmly persistent helps with training. I've found that a low, calm voice is best but I have a pretty placid affect anyway so maybe that's a bias. I've always owned large dogs so it was essential that they were under control.
If you like Cesar Millan (The Dog Whisperer) his website has a lot of good advice.

Cesar's Way
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 6:08 pm

thanks so much for the advice all. we got him at 8 weeks from our local vet that was adopting out puppies from a pregnant mother they rescued when volunteering in a tornado area. I absoulutely adore and love him, he is my best friend, he brings so much joy to us. But like jack'd said alot of anxiety has come also. besides me being terrified to do anything that will hurt him, his 5&6 month stage has become quite tough. He has become quite hyper, getting into and trying to eat everything, and also some biting. We did a class at Pet Smart and while they were very nice and we enjoyed the classes alot of it was teaching him to sit, give me your paw, play dead, and tricks like that and i think we were looking more for the obedience part.
He completely aced the house training part, and has no problems with the crate, but we would eventually like to end the crate so we are worried we aren't seeing that anytime soon.
He is mixed and we don't know with what breed since his mother was found roaming, but our vet and some others have mentioned a rhodesian ridgeback possibility, and he is quite large at 6 months, others we have met on our walks are shocked at his size and age...
Anyway, thanks so much for letting me ask questions and vent a little bit, my son and husband absolutely adore him and are so attached i don't like to get upset in front of them and make them think i am frustrated with him.
Oh and his name is Chooch, after the Phillies catcher...lol obviously i didn't have a say in the name, but now I love telling everyone he is my "chooch the pooch"
Back to top Go down
KayS
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 6:47 pm

Cute name! Good luck with him Bergen! Pictures if you get a chance please so we can awwwww..
Back to top Go down
Jack'd

Number of posts : 17318
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 7:24 pm

bergen wrote:
thanks so much for the advice all. we got him at 8 weeks from our local vet that was adopting out puppies from a pregnant mother they rescued when volunteering in a tornado area. I absoulutely adore and love him, he is my best friend, he brings so much joy to us. But like jack'd said alot of anxiety has come also. besides me being terrified to do anything that will hurt him, his 5&6 month stage has become quite tough. He has become quite hyper, getting into and trying to eat everything, and also some biting. We did a class at Pet Smart and while they were very nice and we enjoyed the classes alot of it was teaching him to sit, give me your paw, play dead, and tricks like that and i think we were looking more for the obedience part.
He completely aced the house training part, and has no problems with the crate, but we would eventually like to end the crate so we are worried we aren't seeing that anytime soon.
He is mixed and we don't know with what breed since his mother was found roaming, but our vet and some others have mentioned a rhodesian ridgeback possibility, and he is quite large at 6 months, others we have met on our walks are shocked at his size and age...
Anyway, thanks so much for letting me ask questions and vent a little bit, my son and husband absolutely adore him and are so attached i don't like to get upset in front of them and make them think i am frustrated with him.
Oh and his name is Chooch, after the Phillies catcher...lol obviously i didn't have a say in the name, but now I love telling everyone he is my "chooch the pooch"

I'm just now seeing this thread so I thought I would give you my two cents lol. As for the Kongs, loved them. I used to put peanut butter in mine all the time, my girls loved them. It kept them occupied while having some fun too.

As for the puppy stage, you have a ways to go. My girls settled in when they were almost 2, that's when the chewing and biting everything pretty much ended. IMO the cage should still be used, it's his safe haven, a time to chill. I must admit I never used a cage in my life with any of my dogs and that was my mistake, I felt too guilty. Something I didn't have the heart to do would have caused me less stress in the end, so don't do as I did, do yourself a favor and keep the cage training going.

While sit, stay, give paw are cute tricks, they don't solve any problems you may have. You need to start teaching him commands like "leave it". Roll up a magazine and slam it on your hand while you use the command. I use this command when they are into something and I need them to stop. Another is "no bark". I don't know if Chooch is a barker or not, but my two are the all time yappers. You can also try coins in a tin can, shake it while stating "no bark". I would wait on the additional training for now. From what you are saying, he seems to be a normal puppy and you need to get through this stage. You do, however, need to work with him daily and show him that you are the pack leader. Don't let him take over your home, you need to be the one in control.

I hope this helped a bit and of course, this is all just my opinion. Good luck with Chooch, I love his name and I love the fact that you gave him a home.

Last edited by Jack'd on October 24th 2011, 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lori

Number of posts : 22965

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 7:35 pm

Awwwwww congrats bergen on your addition. I demand pictures!!!! lol!

Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 7:43 pm

everyone thanks again for the well wishes and advice...i am definitely taking it all in, i just think i am hoping i am being a good dog owner that i am also psyching myself out.
Jack'd so glad to hear someone else likes the Kong toys also, it has been our savng grace and chooch loves it, he plays and chews at it for quite a bit of time its a win win for both us and him...we have only tried the bones so far but definitely now trying the peanut butter also. And as for the crate like you i felt guilty, but i think since he was crated at the vet for 8 weeks before we got him, he has never had a problem with it at all, i guess like you say it's his safe place...the only thing with it and we crack up all the time, but if it is even moved an inch from where it has been since we brought him home he goes crazy, it has to be exactly right or he gets upset. i am definitely going to try the magazine/tin of coins and see how that goes...and i am definitely trying on my part to make sure he knows i am the leader, he has it down pretty good with my husband and son, but in the beginning i am not going to lie, i was a softy, always cuddling and kissing him and not wanting him upset
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 7:49 pm

oh and pictures i am working on, not real good with posting them because i don't know how. will have hubby show me
Back to top Go down
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 7:56 pm

My last dog LOVED her crate. When I brushed my teeth in the morning, she would run for her crate, knowing I was leaving the house soon. It got so I didn't even have to lock the crate, she would stay in it the whole time I was gone. It truly was her safe place.
Back to top Go down
Jack'd

Number of posts : 17318

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 24th 2011, 9:17 pm

bergen wrote:
everyone thanks again for the well wishes and advice...i am definitely taking it all in, i just think i am hoping i am being a good dog owner that i am also psyching myself out.
Jack'd so glad to hear someone else likes the Kong toys also, it has been our savng grace and chooch loves it, he plays and chews at it for quite a bit of time its a win win for both us and him...we have only tried the bones so far but definitely now trying the peanut butter also. And as for the crate like you i felt guilty, but i think since he was crated at the vet for 8 weeks before we got him, he has never had a problem with it at all, i guess like you say it's his safe place...the only thing with it and we crack up all the time, but if it is even moved an inch from where it has been since we brought him home he goes crazy, it has to be exactly right or he gets upset. i am definitely going to try the magazine/tin of coins and see how that goes...and i am definitely trying on my part to make sure he knows i am the leader, he has it down pretty good with my husband and son, but in the beginning i am not going to lie, i was a softy, always cuddling and kissing him and not wanting him upset

I did the same thing too. In their 11 months, we were their fourth home. I felt so bad and always worried if I was giving them enough love and attention (I was still grieving Harley's loss at this time), so I smothered them constantly. As for the crate lol I have a story too. They came to me with their crate. I put it in the kitchen but never closed the door. I was having company the next weekend so I told my husband to take that ugly thing in the basement. I was planning on not bringing it back up. After my company left, Lacey went to that spot and was scratching the floor whimpering. I knew immediately that the crated had to go back and it did. She lays in there constantly, she just loves it. Just give him some time bergen, I'm sure it will all be worth it. Looking back now, my girls will be 5 in January, I'm so saddened by this, time goes so fast. I wish some times I had the puppy days back again.
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 28th 2011, 8:57 am

look what my daughter just sent me

Eight Things your dog should NOT eat
Back to top Go down
KayS

Number of posts : 25134

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 28th 2011, 10:41 am

That whole website is interesting. I like the recipies.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   October 28th 2011, 11:42 am

thanks nancy! got my dog qustions answered and now off to pull some slow cooker recipes off that site.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   December 11th 2011, 5:50 pm

having a meltdown! my mother came over yesterday, i was in full getting the house together for the holiday mode, so she offered to take the dog our for a walk, we were standing outside and they were getting ready to go when the girl next door came out her house and my dog took off running to her, my mother went flying and fell...her hands were bleeding but she seemed ok, i called her a couple times the rest of the day, she was fine, well this morning she wakes up and her wrists (yes both!) were killing her and and her finger was swelled up, she went to the hospital, thank gosh no breaks just bad sprains.
i am mortified, and i feel like the worse, for my mom and as a dog owner
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   December 11th 2011, 6:20 pm

Awww Bergen ... your poor Mom. I'm glad nothing was broken but a bad sprain can take a while to heal too.
Some of my dogs have been just like yours and I know just how bad you feel when their high spirits end up hurting someone. I hope your Mom recovers quickly.
(My big ol' 135 pound yellow lab Jake has pulled people off their feet more than once and he also has a habit of lying in doorways and then deciding to stand up quickly just as people are stepping over him ... )
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   December 11th 2011, 6:38 pm

thanks cousin, that makes me feel better...i went over and spent some time with her today and she doing good, she really isn't upset with me or chooch either, i just feel bad...i have to keep remembering he is still a puppy and is full of high spirits as you say. i think i get so upset because he is doing better, and responding to training but then will have a set back, and of course me, i go right to "that's it, he is never going to learn, what are we going to do"...and then of course he looks at me with the cutest face and kisses me and it's all over, i am in love again.
Back to top Go down
Frances

Number of posts : 12116

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   December 12th 2011, 1:02 am

(((Bergen)))

Those big puppy/kitty eyes get me every time as well. You can't let this guilt or whatever get you down. Pets are still animals with a lot to a smidgen of that feral beast in them no matter how hard or well we train them. Never feel guilty for something like this, please! Most people I know that have had pets or never had pets understand the situation.

You are such a sweetheart. Hug wrap up in arms
Back to top Go down
Lori

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   December 12th 2011, 4:33 pm

Oh no your poor mom. Crazy things do happen but I'm glad your mom isn't upset.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   August 18th 2012, 7:06 pm

while we wait for POV results...in the park today my dog rolled around in what i think is skunk spray...and secrets how to get this smell out? already did a shampoo bath, but he still stinks
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   August 18th 2012, 7:09 pm

The only thing that ever knocked back the smell for me was bathing the dog in tomato juice ... maybe there are better ways but that's what I did.
Back to top Go down
bergen
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   August 18th 2012, 7:11 pm

Cousin_Jake wrote:
The only thing that ever knocked back the smell for me was bathing the dog in tomato juice ... maybe there are better ways but that's what I did.

thanks cuz...that is what i have been reading on the web...just wanted to see if anyone had any little hidden secrets
so just fill the tub up and put him in?
i guess my hubby is off to buy lots of tomato juice
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake

PostSubject: Re: Dog question?   August 18th 2012, 7:13 pm

I found this ...

Deskunking Dogs
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator