all about big brother ~ aabb

Discuss reality television. Big Brother, Survivor, Housewives, etc
 
HomePortalCalendarFAQLog inRegister

Share | 
 

 Prom Advisor needs ideas

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
funnyhaha
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 447
Location : Iowa
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:10 pm

Hi Guys! I am the prom advisor for our local High School. it is a tiny school with 20 members in the junior class and 28 members in the senior class. This is the 6th prom I am advising, and by advising I mean I do most of the work. I was hoping to find some fresh ideas for a prom theme. We have done Tropical, Vegas, Midnight Fantasy, Parisian and last year was Teen Age Dream (Katy Perry song). the kids are leaning towards a black light prom. I have no idea how many black lights I would need to get the desired effect in the gym or hall.
I just want to stay away from the theme kits they sell in the prom books. I put one together for midnight fantasy. It took me 20 man hours to get together and then my hubby had to wire it to the ceiling so it wouldn't fall. I like to call it a $600 pizza box since it was made out of cardboard. Any unique ideas you can share will be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon
avatar

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:17 pm

Oh wow funny - you are so brave!!! I have zero creativity but I bet you will get a lot of good ideas from our very creative members.
Back to top Go down
jodriver58
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon
avatar

Number of posts : 13468
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:22 pm

Good Luck. You have small classes. My kids classes were over 300 students.
Back to top Go down
funnyhaha
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 447
Location : Iowa
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:25 pm

Lori wrote:
Oh wow funny - you are so brave!!! I have zero creativity but I bet you will get a lot of good ideas from our very creative members.

That's what I am hoping for. I will keep you all informed along the way. At this school the Junior class has the concession stands at all the home volleyball,football and basketball games. So we use that money to pay for prom and grad expenses the next year. So prom is free for all jrs and srs to ateend and we include a banquet which is usually prime rib or something similar. They invite all of the teachers and school board members who usually eat and run. Planning prom is the fun part but I spend the whole year up to my elbows in nacho cheese and popcorn oil.
The classes are small. I lived near Chicago as a kid and there were over 2000 in my grad class. I like this better for my kids.
Back to top Go down
Alejules
Head of Household
Head of Household
avatar

Number of posts : 820
Location : The Sunshine State!
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:35 pm

funnyhaha wrote:
Lori wrote:
Oh wow funny - you are so brave!!! I have zero creativity but I bet you will get a lot of good ideas from our very creative members.

That's what I am hoping for. I will keep you all informed along the way. At this school the Junior class has the concession stands at all the home volleyball,football and basketball games. So we use that money to pay for prom and grad expenses the next year. So prom is free for all jrs and srs to ateend and we include a banquet which is usually prime rib or something similar. They invite all of the teachers and school board members who usually eat and run. Planning prom is the fun part but I spend the whole year up to my elbows in nacho cheese and popcorn oil.
The classes are small. I lived near Chicago as a kid and there were over 2000 in my grad class. I like this better for my kids.

It is really wonderful that you are doing this. I have a son who is a HS senior this year. I hope we have as creative a prom planning committee as you seem to be. I have a question, with so few students how do you manage to have all of the sports teams you mentioned. You must have some really talented and athletic kids.
Back to top Go down
funnyhaha
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 447
Location : Iowa
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:55 pm

Alejules wrote:
funnyhaha wrote:
Lori wrote:
Oh wow funny - you are so brave!!! I have zero creativity but I bet you will get a lot of good ideas from our very creative members.

That's what I am hoping for. I will keep you all informed along the way. At this school the Junior class has the concession stands at all the home volleyball,football and basketball games. So we use that money to pay for prom and grad expenses the next year. So prom is free for all jrs and srs to ateend and we include a banquet which is usually prime rib or something similar. They invite all of the teachers and school board members who usually eat and run. Planning prom is the fun part but I spend the whole year up to my elbows in nacho cheese and popcorn oil.
The classes are small. I lived near Chicago as a kid and there were over 2000 in my grad class. I like this better for my kids.

It is really wonderful that you are doing this. I have a son who is a HS senior this year. I hope we have as creative a prom planning committee as you seem to be. I have a question, with so few students how do you manage to have all of the sports teams you mentioned. You must have some really talented and athletic kids.


Most of the kids are involved in everything. If they want to be in band ( we have an 70 member band including the junior high) same with the sports teams. My daughter is the drum major but she leads the band in her cheerleader uniform. it's nice cuz everyone has a chance to get the whole high school experience. Our teams do not have a lot of wins under their belt but they try. Our band is one of the best in the area though.
Back to top Go down
im4kuhawks
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 446
Registration date : 2010-10-07

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 2:58 pm

Our schools sound similar, free prom, banquet provided by parents of Jrs., then the Sr. parents sponsor an all night after prom where they have competitions and activities and win really neat prizes.

A couple of years ago, my sons class did a theme of 007, Diamonds thing. It was far from the pro quo and was very elegant. Black, red and silver were the colors, and the pics were amazing.

_________________
The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.
Maya Angelou
Back to top Go down
rallen
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 2839
Location : tree hill snitches
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 4:47 pm

if you do the black light theme you can do small canopies over areas and do the blacklights in there for a more condensed area to light like what the use at weddings

_________________
www.divahair.etsy.com
Back to top Go down
tvjunkiee



Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   September 11th 2011, 8:10 pm

We had a red carpet and hired a search light at the entrance to look like a red carpet event.
Back to top Go down
funnyhaha
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 447
Location : Iowa
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 1st 2011, 3:53 pm

Thank you all for your ideas! I had a meeting with the kids and here is what they decided. The they want a black light prom so all the decor will be reflective. The theme is 'A Walk on the Wild Side" it will be a Jersey Shore inspired event without the drinking and ( I hope) noone's vag hanging out. They mainly wanted fist pumping and for their after prom t shirts to say It's T Shirt Time. Last year the theme was Teen Age Dream ( Katy Perry) and the kids went to a country club after grand march. I gave the parents of the jrs and srs reserved seating which was such a big hit they expect it again. So this year we will have the grand march as last year, We are decorating the cafeteria and setting up banquet tables. While the kids are eating we will break down the chairs and set up a club like atmosphere in the gym for the dance part of prom. I like the canopy idea, one of the kids suggested white paper lanterns to lower the ceiling. I also read somewhere that dark plastic with laundry detergent sprayed or painted on will reflect black light. I need all the ideas i can get. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Lori
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon
avatar

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 1st 2011, 4:07 pm

That sounds fantastic funny!!!
Back to top Go down
Cousin_Jake
Moderator
avatar

Number of posts : 16469
Location : Ottawa, Ontario
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 1st 2011, 5:21 pm

Sounds like fun!
Here are some things that reflect black light.

Black Light Materials
Back to top Go down
Shug
All Star
All Star
avatar

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 2nd 2011, 1:32 pm

Funny you're so organized! It sounds like it will be lots of fun for the kids. I helped with my girl's proms and have such great memories of them. Hope you have lots of help!
Back to top Go down
Mappy
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon


Number of posts : 27166
Registration date : 2008-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 2nd 2011, 1:43 pm

funnyhaha wrote:
Thank you all for your ideas! I had a meeting with the kids and here is what they decided. The they want a black light prom so all the decor will be reflective. The theme is 'A Walk on the Wild Side" it will be a Jersey Shore inspired event without the drinking and ( I hope) noone's vag hanging out. They mainly wanted fist pumping and for their after prom t shirts to say It's T Shirt Time. Last year the theme was Teen Age Dream ( Katy Perry) and the kids went to a country club after grand march. I gave the parents of the jrs and srs reserved seating which was such a big hit they expect it again. So this year we will have the grand march as last year, We are decorating the cafeteria and setting up banquet tables. While the kids are eating we will break down the chairs and set up a club like atmosphere in the gym for the dance part of prom. I like the canopy idea, one of the kids suggested white paper lanterns to lower the ceiling. I also read somewhere that dark plastic with laundry detergent sprayed or painted on will reflect black light. I need all the ideas i can get. Thanks

It worked with Tide detergent back in the day lol! My youngest who will be 30 this weekend did the whole black light, posters, tide, etc. She even had me dig through the attic for old bellbottoms of mine. Funny how things go full circle every so often.

Paper lanters are cute too! Maybe able to buy them in bulk or from the dollar stores.

It sounds like you're so organized Funny. I admire your work with the kids and being so dedicated in trying to give them what 'they' want. clap
Back to top Go down
funnyhaha
Houseguest
Houseguest
avatar

Number of posts : 447
Location : Iowa
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   October 2nd 2011, 3:28 pm

Thank you all for the great thoughts! Organized is what I aspire to but seldom achieve. It is easy in October sitting at the old puter but when it starts getting close and I have the many opinions of the kids it gets hectic. If you have ever seen bridezillas imagine that times 10 or 15 depending how many girls are in the class. It could be a show unto itself. My youngest graduates this year so I am thinking this is my last one. Funny story about her, since she was about 10 she has aspired to be on BB. Since you have to be 21 and she just turned 18 she will be going to college and holding onto the dream for the next 3 years. Thanks for all your support
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Prom Advisor needs ideas   

Back to top Go down
 
Prom Advisor needs ideas
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: The Lounge-
Jump to: