AuthorMessage
Maureen
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 16157
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 7th 2012, 9:27 am

kaliabalia Kalia
@IrrelevantAnth sigh. i guess u missed my mass tweet abt asking about her to me... she's fine, just not tweeting i guess!
14 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

kaliabalia Kalia
Please stop asking me where @danidONAT0 is, you guys. She's fine, just not tweeting:)
20 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Back to top Go down
Lori

Number of posts : 22965
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 7th 2012, 5:05 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2009-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 8th 2012, 6:14 pm

NancyB (admin) wrote:
Until you can walk a mile in her shoes, or any black persons for that matter, it's not really up to us to decide what is perceived as racial. I get tired of white people dismissing it.
To say you see a lot more reverse racism on a "daily basis" is ...well an obvious exaggeration or else you truly do have your head in the sand.

Wait a minute, aren't you living in Canada?

Sorry it took so long to respond, just saw this today.

The bolded part above - I guess it depends on where you live. There is DEFINITELY not the racism here, as least where I live. We have a lot more going the other way (or as I termed reverse racism). You would not believe the benefits that African Canadians and Native Canadians get here, that many other minorities don't! Maybe we have a bit of a unique situation, but trust me when I say I see more of the "reverse". No exaggeration!

And, not quite sure if the "aren't you in Canada" was a dig about us not having any sand, but since I live on the Coast, I can assure you that there is lots of that around too!
Back to top Go down
Bryanna
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1466
Registration date : 2008-04-20

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 9th 2012, 3:03 am

Schooner wrote:
NancyB (admin) wrote:
Until you can walk a mile in her shoes, or any black persons for that matter, it's not really up to us to decide what is perceived as racial. I get tired of white people dismissing it.
To say you see a lot more reverse racism on a "daily basis" is ...well an obvious exaggeration or else you truly do have your head in the sand.

Wait a minute, aren't you living in Canada?

Sorry it took so long to respond, just saw this today.

The bolded part above - I guess it depends on where you live. There is DEFINITELY not the racism here, as least where I live. We have a lot more going the other way (or as I termed reverse racism). You would not believe the benefits that African Canadians and Native Canadians get here, that many other minorities don't! Maybe we have a bit of a unique situation, but trust me when I say I see more of the "reverse". No exaggeration!

And, not quite sure if the "aren't you in Canada" was a dig about us not having any sand, but since I live on the Coast, I can assure you that there is lots of that around too!

There is NO way that there is more of the "reverse" and if that's what you see, you're looking at it from a very one-sided view. I'm assuming by reverse you mean racism towards white people. There is NO way that there is MORE of that than "traditional" racism (for lack of a better term). Perhaps it's just become so routine and predictable to hear insulting comments about minorities or hear about discrimination/prejudice or whatever the case may be, that it's more "shocking" and "bizarre" when it happens to a white person, so therefore it stands out in your mind more. I ALSO live in Canada and our race issues are nowhere near as bad as what they are in the US, even today. But racism still exists. I still hear the occasional little remark, usually by those of an older generation, that ARE straight up racist. As a white person, I'm struggling to think of a single time that I've felt ostracized because of the colour of my skin or ethnicity. Something that many other people have to deal with on a DAILY basis.

Anyone who is not a minority can't even begin to understand what that's like, myself included.
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 9th 2012, 8:20 am

Bryanna, I guess it depends on what you consider racism. I am not talking about just the remarks you hear...I am talking about the big picture. I am talking about equality and fair treatment - not just the odd slur you might hear. Racism takes all forms. Just because you haven't felt ostracized doesn't mean it hasn't happened to you. Have you ever been passed up for a job because someone who was less qualified fit their "quota"? Happens all the time.

The black kids in Nova Scotia get paid to go to school, so that they can buy clothes etc. Has been that way as long as I can recall. Doesn't matter if their parents are doctors, or lawyers...doesn't matter the there are very poor white, hispanic, or whatever kids that are just as poor...

I guess I look at the total socio/economic package when I look at who is discriminated against.

I am not saying there is never a racial slur, of course there is, I am not blind. But, it bugs the crap out of me when all the good things are totally discounted, especially when they are being paid for with my tax dollars!

Sorry Nancy, I don't want to get drawn into a big racism discussion, and won't say any more about it, but I can't help but comment when someone calls me delusional or narrow-minded, of which I am neither.
Back to top Go down
Bryanna
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 9th 2012, 8:01 pm

Schooner wrote:

Sorry Nancy, I don't want to get drawn into a big racism discussion, and won't say any more about it, but I can't help but comment when someone calls me delusional or narrow-minded, of which I am neither.

Who called you either of those things?!
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 10:38 am

Bryanna wrote:
Schooner wrote:

Who called you either of those things?!

You said I had a very "one-sided view"...which I don't. Quite the opposite, I look at ALL of the issues. Narrow minded, one-sided...tomAto, tomato...

It's fine, I was just clarifying for you that I am not the least one-sided.. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bryanna
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 12:39 pm

Saying that you're looking at the issue from one side is not the same as saying that you are narrow minded at all.
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 2:14 pm

Bryanna wrote:
Saying that you're looking at the issue from one side is not the same as saying that you are narrow minded at all.

potato...tomato....yeah, it pretty much is. But I know I am not...so it's fine.
Back to top Go down
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1732
Registration date : 2010-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 5:39 pm

I think the difference is that one is looking at one aspect of an issue while the other says the person has a one sided view of certain subject matter and does not see the other side of the problem.

I hope that made sense Smile

All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2842
Registration date : 2010-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 6:48 pm

It made sense to me 4200. Very Happy

I've lived in many, many different cities and communities during my life, all in the south. I've seen racism change from the days of my childhood when black people were not allowed to drink from water fountains unless labeled "Colored," at Saturday morning kid's movies, the black children sat in the balcony, whites downstairs and schools were separate. I saw the worst of racism and lived it as a child. My Mother had "Help" and I recall her fondly. Her name was Moochie and I loved her. I watched as government programs destroyed black families and they lost their farms and ranches because of it.

I was a part of the generation that fought for civil rights for all people. I could tell you stories about racism that you would probably not believe. When I was in the 4th grade we moved to south Texas and I lived another form of racism against hispanic Americans. It was bad but not as obvious and cruel as that against Black Americans.

When I got my first teaching job, I was told by the superintendent of schools that the community would like for things to go back to the way they were before integration, except for color TV. I was appalled! I was horrified when another first grade teacher told me I could paddle the black children hard because the bruises didn't show. How sick is that? I never paddled any child btw. There are more intelligent ways to deal with discipline.

I taught black, hispanic, asian, American Indian and white children whose parents would have spanked them if they'd known they were friends at school and played together on the playground.

I've seen our country change so much in my lifetime that sometimes I can't believe what progress we've made. My girls were raised to judge people not by the color of their skin but by what's in their hearts and what kind of human being they are. They never showed any form of prejudice to any other human being to my knowledge.

I have to say I have also seen "reverse discrimination." I've seen students and employees not promoted or given scholarships because they were the wrong race. Affirmative Action caused this. My black and hispanic friends hated Affirmative Action. They did not want it or need it. They wanted to succeed because of their accomplishments, not because of a government program. It insulted their intelligence and they were not shy about sharing this view with others. Reverse discrimination does occur every day somewhere, unfortunately, as does racism.

Our world will never be free of these things until we can openly talk about it and voice our opinions. I think it's unfair to attack someone who lives in a community you know nothing about for saying something that you don't know anything about. I can tell stories on both sides of this issue that half of you would not believe, but they're true. Each community, each neighborhood is different. Just because things are a certain way where you live, it does not mean it's like that everywhere.

All of us have to try to understand one another better and be more compassionate. I believe all the people in this conversation have a point of view and the right to express it. Don't shoot the messenger. Eventually as the years pass, beginning with children, racism of all kinds to all people will fade away, for which I thank God. It's an ugly, sick, evil, horrible thing.

I've seen much progress in my life but we still have a long way to go until we get it right. I'm hopeful and proud when I watch young people today and the way they interact with one another. They're our future and we need to set good examples for them by showing respect and compassion for everyone.

Sorry for the long post but I had to comment on something I've lived with since the day I was born.
Back to top Go down
KayS

Number of posts : 25134
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 10th 2012, 7:11 pm

That is an excellent, well thought out post Shug.
Back to top Go down
Bryanna
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 13th 2012, 10:36 pm

Schooner wrote:
Bryanna wrote:

potato...tomato....yeah, it pretty much is. But I know I am not...so it's fine.

Once again, no it's not. I think I would know what I was saying. If that was what I was saying, I would have: a) said those words and b) stopped talking about it by now.

Saying that you are looking at it from one view implies that you are paying more attention to one aspect. It's not the same as saying that you are illogically closed off from and refusing to see the other side (narrow minded).

For the record, I know black people who have been qualified for jobs who have been turned down (told the position was full when it wasn't) only to test this by getting an unqualified white friend to go in, ask for an application, and receive one.

So a white person gets passed up because the colour of their skin doesn't fill a company's quota? It's not like black people (or other minorities for that matter) don't get passed up because of the colour of their skin, plus all of the other instances of racism they have to face in other areas of their lives. Therefore that's not a qualified enough reason to say that there is MORE of the reverse, in my opinion (which is what the original argument that I was responding to stated). It still happens frequently to minorities. Besides, when these situations happen they usually happen with people who are SIMILARLY qualified. The majority of employers aren't going to hire a black person who meets none of the requirements to have the job just because they're black, especially when they're up against a person who meets all of the requirements. I never DENIED that the reverse exists, but I find it pretty impossible to believe that MORE of the reverse exists.

Shug wrote:
I think it's unfair to attack someone who lives in a community you know nothing about for saying something that you don't know anything about. I can tell stories on both sides of this issue that half of you would not believe, but they're true. Each community, each neighborhood is different. Just because things are a certain way where you live, it does not mean it's like that everywhere.

First of all, who's attacking? I always find it weird when people say that everyone's entitled to their own opinions while labeling someone as "attacking" just because they disagree. I also interpreted the "community" that was being talked about to be Canada as a whole, and saying things might just be different here, etc. I'm from Canada and therefore it is fair for me to speak on that. Especially since I've heard people in my city make similar arguments.
Back to top Go down
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 13th 2012, 11:04 pm

Bryanna, I'm not Schooner but the way your post (a few posts back) was written, with the use of caps/absolutes ("NO way" twice) and the use of 'very' (saying her view is 'very one-sided') comes across a tad personal and perhaps slightly aggressive.

You've made some intelligent and astute comments about things you've experienced and observed, but I'm not sure any one of us can possess absolute knowledge about what another experiences in his or her neighborhood, community, city, etc.

All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 13th 2012, 11:27 pm

If you look at any post I've ever made you'll probably find caps. It's a bad habit that I barely even notice anymore used to emphasize certain words...
Back to top Go down
Schooner
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 16th 2012, 12:01 pm

I think maybe you should re-read a few posts Bryanna. I made it clear that I was speaking about the area I live in...certainly not all of Canada. Dear lord, that would be ridiculous - as someone who has travelled a great deal of our country, I can assure you that the differences are immense.

And, I can also assure you that what I said in my opening post about this issue was 100% true. You may find it hard to believe that "reverse issues" are more prevalent here, and but I can assure that is the case. Is it true on a daily basis as far as people meeting one on one in the street?? No, probably not. But, where it counts, it sure as hell is.

And, if you think that someone would not hire an unqualified black person (or other visible minority) over a qualified white person, you have been sheltered. It happens ALL the time! Does it happen the other way, of course it does. But, trust me, our generation is desperately trying to right the wrongs of generations past, and it sometimes goes overboard in doing so.

PS: Bad habits can be broken...
Back to top Go down
Nancy AABB Admin
Administrator

Number of posts : 35502
Registration date : 2007-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   January 16th 2012, 4:04 pm

All right, that's enough of this.
No more on this topic. Go to a politics site if you want to fight it out.
( I do!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.allaboutbigbrother.net
catty

Number of posts : 14825
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 7th 2013, 7:55 pm

Kalia is starting a blog if anyone is interested.

http://aboutagirlblogs.wordpress.com/

New! CBS All Access. Watch CBS Shows On Demand. Anytime, Anywhere. Live TV & Next-day new episodes. Free Trial!

Back to top Go down
ranjake
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2902
Registration date : 2009-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 8th 2013, 12:45 am

I liked it. I think she's a talented girl Is there only the one blog post so far?
Back to top Go down
catty

Number of posts : 14825
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 8th 2013, 1:37 pm

I liked it too. And yeah, I think it's just that one. She posted the link last night while I was on twitter or I would have completely not known about it.

New! CBS All Access. Watch CBS Shows On Demand. Anytime, Anywhere. Live TV & Next-day new episodes. Free Trial!

Back to top Go down
Jack'd

Number of posts : 17318
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 8th 2013, 5:15 pm

I read it too this afternoon. I thought it was very well written, although it was very sad. I felt sorry for her, she went through a lot of pain with that break up.
Back to top Go down
ebowers
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5845
Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 8th 2013, 6:55 pm

She is a wonderful writer...I like her style. It sounds like she is healing from her break up and moving on...good for her. I look forward to reading more of her blogs.
Back to top Go down
QueenOfEgypt

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   February 8th 2013, 9:19 pm

I liked it too.
Back to top Go down
ta

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   August 11th 2013, 1:07 pm

Kalia was on Reality Recaps. Someone put in a question to ask Kalia if Dani and Kalia were still friends, because Dick stated in his blog about Dani that they were no longer friends. It starts approximately at the 27:00 mark.   

http://youtu.be/NIrMl6M459c
Back to top Go down
gluedtothepc
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 6661
Registration date : 2008-01-16

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   August 11th 2013, 1:19 pm

Thanks, ta. Kalia says she still talks to Dani all the time, and had lunch with her and Dom two weeks ago. She talked about how much Dani loves BB. She said she is much more in Dani's life than Dick is. She says she has no idea why Dick dislikes her (Kalia) so much.

PostSubject: Re: Kalia   

Back to top Go down

Kalia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: BIG BROTHER USA (past seasons) :: Big Brother 13-
Jump to: