all about big brother ~ aabb
Welcome to All About Big Brother.
No ads if you sign up. Also, you can post if you are a member.
Registration is super easy... you don't even need to respond to an email.
It's probably a good idea to check out "About this site" before posting.

all about big brother ~ aabb

HomePortalCalendarFAQLog inRegister
Share | 

Teen survives 2nd plane crash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
KMKB
All Star
All Star

Number of posts: 2396
Registration date: 2010-08-19

PostSubject: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 11:08 am

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-110625-michigan-recruit-plane-crash,0,4477505.story

DETROIT -- A 16-year-old high school basketball player with the promise of playing at the University of Michigan is fighting for his life after surviving his second plane crash.

Austin Hatch, of Fort Wayne, Indiana, was in critical condition Saturday in a northern Michigan hospital after the Friday evening crash that killed his father, Dr. Stephen Hatch, and his stepmother, Kim.

Austin and his pilot father had survived a 2003 crash that killed Austin's mother and two siblings.

Austin had committed earlier this month to play basketball at Michigan, where his father and mother went to school.

Dan Kline, the basketball coach at Canterbury School in Fort Wayne, Indiana, told The Associated Press that the next 24 to 48 hours are going to be critical. He said Austin is physically and mentally strong -- someone "who can handle things."

"He's a very mature young man," he said. "You'd never know he was 16 years old."

Austin told the Journal Gazette of Fort Wayne for a story published last week that he talked to Michigan coach John Beilein by phone and accepted a scholarship to enroll in 2013.

"It was a very special moment for me," he told the newspaper. "There was no reason to wait. There's nothing I don't like about their program, and I couldn't turn it down."

Beilein said in a statement that the university was saddened to hear about the tragedy. "Austin needs as much support right now as possible and I know he will be in the thoughts and prayers of the Michigan family during this difficult time," he said.

Dr. G. David Bojrab, a colleague and close friend of Austin's father, said the Hatches were flying to their summer home on a lake in northwestern Michigan, where Stephen Hatch and his brothers all owned property, when his single-engine plane flew into a garage near an airport in the city of Charlevoix.

It was the same home Stephen Hatch and the family were returning from nearly eight years ago when they crashed in Indiana.

A 2005 federal report on the September 2003 crash found inaccurate preflight planning resulted in the plane not having enough fuel. The National Transportation Safety Board determined a utility pole the airplane hit during its forced landing, a low ceiling and dark conditions also contributed to the crash.

Hatch saved Austin, but his other children -- Lindsay, 11, and Ian, 5 -- died along with his wife, Julie, 38.

NTSB spokesman Keith Holloway said investigators were on the scene of Friday's crash and would be examining the aircraft, interviewing witnesses and requesting air traffic control communications and radar data. He expected a preliminary report within 10 days and a final report determining a cause within 18 months.
Copyright 2011, Chicago Tribune
Back to top Go down
Jessalyn
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts: 8563
Registration date: 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 11:14 am

I saw this on the news last night. I would say the boy is lucky, but he has lost his entire family.
Back to top Go down
KMKB
All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 11:17 am

One comment I got on facebook was that the father was irresponsible for taking another chance after killing his wife and children once already. I am not sure I agree but I had not seen it from that angle.
Back to top Go down
sweetpeatx
All Star
All Star

Number of posts: 2585
Registration date: 2009-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 1:51 pm

It does seem like the father wasn't the greatest pilot, doesn't it? Most people would have stopped flying after the first one. But we don't know all the circumstances, I guess. I feel so sorry for that boy.
Back to top Go down
KelliM
All Star
All Star

Number of posts: 1849
Registration date: 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 4:22 pm

What a horrible tragedy!!!

I don't think you can blame the Father unless it was something outrageously stupid that caused the crash. You take a risk driving in a car everyday.

The good news is both the father and son survived the first one and hopefully the son will make it again. I hope he has some close family around him. He's gonna need them.
Back to top Go down
jodriver58
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts: 13468
Registration date: 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 4:51 pm

Very sad.
Back to top Go down
Washed Up
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts: 3596
Registration date: 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 26th 2011, 6:01 pm

All I can think of is how many plane flights that boy will have playing basketball at different locations for UM. Uggh - he'll be flying most of the year. I hope he has some great support and strength to help him understand that he is not any more likely to be involved in a crash then the rest of us...but how could not have a bad feeling each time.

The good thing is that he and his dad did survive the first class and had each other. This time, he is a bit older and it sounds like he has some older step-siblings that hopefully will be a comfort to him this time. I hope the best for his recovery and long and happy full life.

Number of posts: 43153
Registration date: 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 27th 2011, 3:59 am

I read about this yesterday. I pray he is able to heal fully and fulfill his dreams.

~ Happy thoughts fill your life with happiness ~
Back to top Go down
blondie55
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts: 5734
Registration date: 2009-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 27th 2011, 8:14 am

Wow, this is quite a story. Very, very sad.

All Star
All Star

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 27th 2011, 9:40 am

HAPPY4LIFE wrote:
I read about this yesterday. I pray he is able to heal fully and fulfill his dreams.

I keep thinking about this kid. I hope that he can overcome this and see that there is a reason he is still here. I haven't seen anymore news about him.
Back to top Go down
stones
All Star
All Star

Number of posts: 1045
Registration date: 2010-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Teen survives 2nd plane crash   June 27th 2011, 10:18 am

Heartbreaking!
Back to top Go down
Lori