all about big brother ~ aabb

Discuss reality television. Big Brother, Survivor, Housewives, etc

HomePortalCalendarFAQLog inRegister

Share | 

Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LaLa
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 7278
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 4:31 pm

Jeff Probst responds to survivor sucks

My first response to Survivor Sucks... it only took 12 years. #58 [-]

Well, this is quite a moment for me. I’m finally joining the conversation. After years of Survivor Sucks abuse I’m entering the fray with a smile on my face and the slightest touch of optimism that this may answer some of your questions about whether or not I still care about Survivor.

I got a google alert about an “Open Letter To Jeff Probst” so I clicked on it and then realized that I could respond with my twitter account and just like here I am... joining your conversation.

The truth is I actually enjoy criticism of the show and I welcome suggestions on how to improve the show and a lot of you are very good writers. But this site reached a point where it was so negative, so sarcastic and so cynical that it was hard to separate the worthy criticism from the full-on haters.

Don't misunderstand. I like opinions and I love different points of view. That's what it's all about. But I have read stuff on here
that is so dark and twisted it does make me wonder why so many of you take the time to post when it seems like you really don’t even like the show. I'm hoping it’s because you actually do care about the show and you’re just very vocal. If not, then I would guess that you're house bound and really have nothing else to do. If that's the case that truly is a bummer and wish for you a speedy recovery.

REDEMPTION ISLAND

Okay onto the letter – you don’t like Redemption Island. I get it. Fair enough. I’m not saying it’s the end all be all either. I think it’s a twist worth exploring and that’s what we’re doing. When you’ve been on the air for 11 years and 22 seasons you have to try new things. It’s the invoice for being successful for this long. You have to give the audience "The same thing only different." You can make fun of that line but if you want to know how storytelling on a successful show works, it can be summed up with that line. "The same thing... only different."

I realize there are pros and cons to Redemption Island. No need debating the list. I don't disagree with any of the cons you mentioned and I've never said that any of the pros are earth shattering. It's just a twist. We tried it in S22, we’re trying it again in S23 and we may try it again in S24. We may do it for the rest of the series and we may never do it again. The show is an on going experiment. It ebbs and flows.

What I do take exception to is the rant about me and the rest of the Survivor team not caring about the opinions of our fans. That’s just silliness. We listen to feedback all the time. We solicit it and it comes to us. CBS does focus groups, I get people stopping me on the street. It’s constant. It’s endless.

Maybe you don’t feel we listen to YOU specifically, but generally speaking we listen. The job of a producer is to listen to the criticism, both good and bad, and then decide what they think is best for their show. For example, if I listened to every person who said Russell should never be on the show again, we would not have asked him back for Survivor: Redemption Island. Yet, one of the highest rated and most talked about episodes in our history was the night Russell finally left the game…for good.

You have to use your judgment as to what will be the most entertaining. We think Redemption Island is worth another shot.

I get that you may not agree.

Moving on.

FINAL 2 vs FINAL 3

As for the final 2 vs final 3 debate. Look, it’s opinion about which is better. Not fact. A final 2 offers some great drama but also makes it so easy for the winner of the last immunity challenge to simply pick the person he/she knows they can beat in the end. I’ve heard many people complain about seasons in which we did a final 2 that the final vote was a blow out because “Nobody was gonna vote for… (fill in the blank).”

I'm not saying Final 2 is wrong, but that doesn't mean it's right. We may go back to a final 2 at some point and try it again. Nothing is locked in stone.

LOCATIONS

You guys complain that we’re going back to the same places over and over. Have you looked at a world map lately? Between political unrest and dangerous weather, finding suitable spots to shoot Survivor is not an easy task.

We have a crew of over 300 people who have to be housed and fed. We need several isolated beaches. We need a government that will work with us. We need to know our crew is safe from unrest and weather. We have to be able to take over the island for 5-6 months. We have to be able to afford accommodations and shipping. The dollar is falling. Budgets are shrinking. This is a business, not a travel agency.

So yes we will be repeating locations. It’s yet another “good problem to have” and an unavoidable truth that comes with being on the air for 12 years.

PROBST NEVER READS OR RESPONDS TO ANYTHING

This is where you guys are the toughest. It’s okay, I can handle the complaints, but just for the record - let’s review my contributions to the Survivor conversation.

For years I wrote a blog for EW.com. Damn thing took hours to write. Hours. I didn’t get paid a penny, nor was I contractually obligated. I did it because I wanted to keep the Survivor conversation going.

Every week people would complain that I was:

a. “trying to be too clever”

b. “not clever enough”

c. “telling us things we already know”

d. “not telling us enough things.”

e. all of the above

I finally decided to create my own website, “JeffProbst.com” so that I could bring you some Survivor behind-the-scenes features and people immediately complained that I didn’t respond to enough questions, or post enough material.

Let me tell you the truth - the site cost $20,000 to build plus monthly maintenance. I paid for it. I post the blogs myself. My little fingers typing in the keys. It’s usually late at night after a long day.

There is no staff. No big room full of paid employees. I do it from my house to keep the Survivor conversation going.

I make the videos and I post them as well. Myself. And because they take hours to upload to Youtube, I even woke up early on Thursday mornings to post them to my site. Myself. You think Ryan Seacrest is doing that for AI fans?

Then, in an effort to be more interactive and personal, I tried video blogging. It cracked me up that people even complained about that - saying that they couldn’t watch the video at work and would I please write a blog as well.

This season, I started to tweet live during the show. (Yes, I stole the idea from Howard Stern.) I had to beg CBS to offer some support because nobody thought there was any value in tweeting live. I started tweeting and within a few weeks lots of people on lots of different shows were tweeting. CBS even did a "tweet week."

I dedicated every Wednesday evening for the entire season so I could tweet live for both costs and people would still complain:

a. your tweets are spoiling the show please stop

b. your tweeting some of the same stuff you did during the east coast feed

c. your tweets are boring

d. why aren’t you responding to my tweets? I thought this was interactive?

Fortunately, it’s as funny as it is annoying. But ya gotta give me a little credit, don't you? I've do my part. I can't respond to every comment or every tweet. I do have other things I want to do in life besides Survivor. It's called balance.

AND FINALLY… IN CONCLUSION… TO SUMMARIZE

Here’s my wrap up.

I think there are some good writers on this site.

I think there are some total assholes on this site.

I think some of the good writers are also the assholes.

I think some of the good writers are probably pretty decent people.

I think there are some valid criticisms made on this site.

I think there are some ridiculously absurd criticisms made on this site.

I think there are some very funny posts and funny animations on this site.

I am confused as to the purpose of this site. It still eludes me why anyone who appears to hate Survivor as much as some of you do, would dedicate the hours it takes to post a response.

I am glad the site exits because it does make me smile to know you guys are still engaged enough to talk about the show.

I am glad my cherry has finally been broken and I am no longer a Survivor Sucks virgin. This day was long overdue.

Yes, this is me. I’m sure many of you will doubt it’s me and others will race to post pretending to be me.

I can assure you it’s me because I know how the clues for the hidden immunity idol will work next season and no matter how many spoilers you may think you have, you don’t know that answer. At least not yet.

I do not anticipate responding again anytime soon – it doesn’t mean I don’t care, I just really don’t have anything else to say right now.

So if there are other posts claiming to be me, they’re most likely fake. But hey it’s all part of the fun right?

Believe what you want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found this via Facebook, so I don't have a direct link to SS. I thinks its great he actually bothered to confront those Sucksters. I am loving it!

I love Janelle for being brutally honest. That’s what made viewers fall in love with her from the first season. She owned who she is. She called out the nerd herd to their faces. She doesn’t make any excuses for who she is, and everyone loves her honesty. ~ Julie Chen
Back to top Go down
catty
Superstar, Legend and Icon
Superstar, Legend and Icon

Number of posts : 14843
Registration date : 2008-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 5:19 pm

Quote :
I am glad my cherry has finally been broken and I am no longer a Survivor Sucks virgin. This day was long overdue.

lol! Well I'm an SS virgin. That place scares me.

ETA: Link to SS thread.

http://survivorsucks.com/topic/83779

New! CBS All Access. Watch CBS Shows On Demand. Anytime, Anywhere. Live TV & Next-day new episodes. Free Trial!

Back to top Go down
rallen
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 7:43 pm

i love him...and his dimples

Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 5991
Registration date : 2009-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 7:59 pm

Haha! That's awesome that he replied there.
Back to top Go down
http://twitter.com/stamalot
Candace
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8856
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 9:35 pm

Can I say damn again...He told them

Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8856
Registration date : 2008-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 9:35 pm

oh and by the way I loved his tweet fest during survivor.

Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 7974
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 1st 2011, 11:00 pm

Candace wrote:
oh and by the way I loved his tweet fest during survivor.

I did too. Mappy retweeted him and I got hooked.
Back to top Go down
marinewife08
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1984
Registration date : 2010-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 2nd 2011, 12:12 am

YES!

A quote my husband wrote in a card to me during my battle with cancer (that made me bawl my eyes out)- "When I was growing up, I wanted to be a Spartan Warrior. I never would have guessed my wife would become one before me."
Back to top Go down
mytwocents
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 4460
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 2nd 2011, 3:22 pm

Apparently Coach and Ozzy are the returning players next season.

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_south_pacific/2011_Jun_02_coach_ozzy_returning

Since retreads are returning, it would've been nice to have a female back. Jeff's manlove continues.
Back to top Go down
MissChriss
All Star
All Star

Number of posts : 1554
Registration date : 2008-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 2nd 2011, 10:24 pm

Good blog. I haven't read there in a while so I am curious about the reaction. I am a member and only posted there when EricBB8's brother was there. It was the only place I could find that was not pro-DickBB8 and that thread was pretty civilized, given SS M.O. lol.
Back to top Go down
http://natalielynn.niceboard.net/index.htm
lovin
Famous for being Famous
Famous for being Famous

Number of posts : 8222
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   June 2nd 2011, 10:52 pm

YAY!! I love Ozzy!!!!

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   March 30th 2012, 1:45 pm

Well well well...

I just found out about the Jeff Probst's letter ( I mean the answer to SS) and I went to read the SS topic. ( For your information, I'm not a huge fan of this website, I used to read some things from time to time a couple of years ago, but the haters are really too many and I do not enjoy the agressive part of it )

I totally agree with Jeff for many reasons. It's exactly what I thought and what I still think today.

I am a huge fan of Survivor, even if sometimes I don't like some contestants, it doesn't matter, at the end I have a great show I enjoy to watch and comment.

For those people who think they know everything and they can do better, go and do it. ( What are you waiting for? )

However I enjoy to watch the seasons again and again from the first to the last .

dance

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.   

Back to top Go down

Jeff responds to Survivor Sucks! ~ Good stuff.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
all about big brother ~ aabb :: Reality Television :: Survivor-
Jump to: